A strange and random Roman history question?

I know that I heard of a specific Roman man who pretended to be a woman in order to see what all the women were doing in the Bacchanalian rights. I just forgot the name of that man. Does anyone know it?

Favorite Answer

It sounds like you're confusing Greek mythology for Roman history. That story applies to King Pentheus of Thebes, who made himself an enemy of his cousin the Greek wine-god Dionysos by denying the god's divinity when Dionysos was on a campaign of spreading his cult of the vine around the world. When Dionysos came home to Thebes, where his mother Princess Semele (an aunt of Pentheus) was from, Pentheus attempted to banish him from the city but Dionysos caused all the women, including Pentheus' mother Agave (Semele's sister), to go crazy and dance wildly in the wildernesses. In the form of a local priest, Dionysos tricked Pentheus, convincing the king to disguise himself as a woman in order to spy on the frenzied activities in which they were participating in the woods. While Pentheus was out there hiding in a tree, Dionysos caused the women, including the king's own mother, to kill him by ripping him to shreds.

I don't know about Roman History but in the Greek Tragedy the Bacchae by Euripides (and in mythology of course) King Pentheus was dressed as a woman by Dionysius himself and taken to the rites where he was ripped to shreds by, among others, his own mother.