Angelo asked in PetsRodents · 8 years ago

URGENT, is my guinea pig dead or paralyzed?

so I woke up in the middle of the night at about 4 in the morning to use the restroom and I noticed my male guinea pig choco was laying on his side with his head tilted back a bit and he had his eyes open but they werent moving. Like a dull stare or zoning out. Now we got choco from a pound and they told us he had a heart condition, which we tried to keep up in check constantly. So I am worried because I dont know if he is dying or just paraylzed because I look at his stomach and I can tell he is somewhat breathing and every now and then he starts spazzing out a bit and kicking his legs(he is laying on his side). Also my female guinea pig keeps like tugging on his fur, idk what she is doing. PLease help me>

Favorite Answer

Why would you come online and ask something like this while your poor guinea pig is seriously unwell? He needs a vet right away. I cannot believe you do not realise that yourself.

• Piggy

Ring the vet *NOW* and either take him in, or ask if the vet can do a house call. This is urgent, he needs immediate attention. Keep him warm. The vet might say there is nothing that can be done apart from keeping him comfortable, but you need professional advice about what can be done to help him.

• ?

If you, your brother and your father have hay fever, even if it is just mild, I would suggest not to buy the guinea pigs. The hutch shouldn't stink up your clothes as long as you keep it clean. If you are determined to get the guinea pigs, and you have not owned any before, I would research their species a bit more to make sure you have the proper equipment and time to own them.

I would take him to a vet. Usually the female can tell something is wrong and shows it by tugging on the fur. It could be major.

• Sounds like it may be having seizures especially how u said its head was tilted back. I had a kitten once that had seizures and it's head wells be tilted back really unnatural looking and since we had a whole litter of hitters they wouldn't let me bring it to the get and it died. You need to bring ur piggie to the vet ASAP

Choco could be having a fit, take it to the vet immediately.

• Tugger

Sorry Angelo it doesn't look good but I would call a vet right now for a professional opinion.

If he is dead, he wouldn't be moving.

He may be in a critical condition.

Check with a vet as soon as you can.

Could it be a heart attack? I know somebody who's guinea pig had a heart attack. I hope your guinea pig is okay...

PLEASE take him to a vet as soon as possible! He sounds like he is having a fit, he could die pretty quickly. Hurry! And good luck...