vectra exhaust leak tapping?

my car has a loud tapping noise, was told by vauxhall it could be a exhaust leak but not confirmed, he only listened to it, if its tapping and not blowing or roaring would this mean the leak is near the manifold or turbo, or could the hole/leak be anywhere down the exhaust for it to tap as i looked and couldnt see any sighns of leaks, the noise is coming from under the bonnet but very hard to pinpoint

Favorite Answer

Tapping from an exhaust leak is typically at the exhaust manifold gasket where the exhaust connects to the engine. The tapping sounds oddly metallic, gets louder as you open the throttle, and often gradually gets quieter as the manifold heats up.

My favorite way of finding exhaust leaks is with a cold engine. I duct tape a shop vacuum hose to the exhaust pipe, set up the vacuum to blow, and listen and feel for the leak. It will be obvious enough.

Source(s): 35 years maintaining my own cars

complex task. seek into yahoo and bing. it may help!