Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 8 years ago

Do Seniors remember Ayds diet candy supplements?

I remember them being in a lot of magazine ads and they were very popular. It's interesting why they fell off the market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayds

Update:

When I first started working with vendors in the 80's, I remember my grocery vendor told me, when we were setting up a new store, that marketers were trying to steer clear of phrases like "health and beauty aids" because of the AIDS epidemic. I was astonished. I see the phrase is still being used in most department and pharmacies today.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Halia
    Lv 5
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, (wasn't that a marketing nightmare!) I remember they cost a fortune back then at $8 a box and I would find a way to sneak one or two until my mom caught me.

• 8 years ago

In the late 70s, it was in a powder form as well as the 'candies.' You mixed it with I believe 8 oz of skim milk. If I remember correctly, you drank one for breakfast, one for lunch, then at a sensible dinner. I wondered if after the Aids epidemic came into the news, that is why it was no longer sold or advertised. Actually Slim Fast powder that came along later, was basically the same thing. I remember my mom buying the AYDS candy to help in weight loss.

• 8 years ago

I do remember them. My little sister worked as a nurses aide in a hospital. She told us that a supervisor had placed a box of these diet candies on the counter at the nurses' station. These were replenished each day and they were placed there for any of the staff to use them. I cannot imagine anything like this happening today, especially in a hospital.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I tried them in the late 60's when I put on a few pounds. I bought chocolate and chocolate mint. They were $2.50 a box -- a fortune then! Besides not working they tasted awful, very chalky. If they worked for anyone I think it was because you were to take them with a glass of hot water. Hot water gives you a feeling of fullness quickly. Just another snake oil diet product.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Power
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Yes, I never tasted them so I missed the bird dropping flavor. I did get to eat corn pringles shamped like bugals, though. So I haven't missed everything.

There is something called Viactin which are candies that are chewy and have calcium and vit. d. I wonder if they are the same kind of thing.

• 8 years ago

Yes, my sister-in-law used those. Did not seem to work for her well. Probably the name had a lot to do with it going off the market.

Source(s): Me.
  • Kira
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Yes , I used them for a while.

I think the name did it in when Aids became an illness, everybody was scared of.

• Kini
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

That was before the real aIds was known.

I remember Metrecal liquid diet drink.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Well, I never tasted bird droppings, but I remember Ayds!!..

• -
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Yes, had an aunt that used them for awhile, she didn't lose weight with them, though. Expensive and not-so-tasty candies. She had a thyroid disorder which was diagnosed later on after it took it's toll on her health.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.