SAT MATH questionnnn....helpp? 10 pts?
1. A baseball team won 54 more games than it lost. If the team played a total of 154 games and there were no ties, how many games did the team win?
Answer: E. I need EXPLAINATION
2. In a marathon, runners who finish 1st through 75th receives gift certificates; those who finish 76th and higher do not. If 312 runners participated in the race, how many did NOT receive gift certificates?
Answer: D. Need EXPLAINATION
3. A watch loses x minutes every y hours. At this rate, how many hours will the watch lose in one week?
(B) 2x / 5y
(C) 5y / 2x
(D) 14y / 5x
(E) 14x / 5y
Answer: E. Need EXPLAINATION
4. Allie has three fewer than twice the number of coins that Jonathan has. If Jonathan gave 2 coins to Allie, she would have three times as many coins as he would. How many coins does Allie have?
Answer: D. I need the EXPLAINATION.
- daniel mLv 68 years agoFavorite Answer
1) let w and L be games won and lost. Then w = 54 + L. Total games is w + L = 154. Since we want to know how many games won, we need to eliminate the L.
w - L = 54 just subtracted L on both sides
w + L = 154
add both equations to get
2w = 208, div by 2
w = 104
2) This one is just 312 runners - 75 certificates = 237
3) This is a proportion. x lost minutes / y hours = answer / hours in a week
First find out how many hours in a week. 7 days * 24 hours = 168
cross mult and get 168x = y*answer
answer = 168x / y.
This gives it to us in minutes where the answer is in hours. Minutes * (1 hour / 60 minutes) gives us an answer in hours, so multiply by 1/60
168x / 60y and reduce to lowest terms 12x / 5y
4)Let A be the number of coins Allie has now and J be the number he has now.
First situation is as follows
A = 2J - 3
A+2 = 3*(J-2)
or A = 3(J-2)-2
Set them equal to each other to get
2J - 3 = 3(J-2)-2
2J - 3 = 3J - 6-2
5 = J
A = 2*5-3
A = 7