Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 8 years ago

Are my periods heavy, are they normal?!? I'm 13!?

I'm 13. I started my periods in November and it is now July. My periods are irregular and I have only had two since my first (all at random times). Is it normal for a period to always last one week at my age? I get through two period pads every 24 hours (one in the day and one at night) but I go to the toilet a lot. Is my period heavy? Also, will my periods get lighter as I get older or will I always have them like this?

At 13 many body types are just getting used to this normal change they will get lighter with age, just be real calm this helps most, have a check up when You can drink lots of water and eat real healthy foods, as Your body needs this, all will be good, some Drs., offer the pill to regulate Your monthly, but try not to go that way, the added hormones are alot of stress on Your young body.Nope only two pads a day is great , if You need more use them , but this is not overly heavy. And always believe in Your self ! Be proud !

its normal for the first 2 years that your period is irregular, girl if you are only using 2 pads per 24 hrs your period is NOT HEAVY its definately light! To stay cleaner its better if you change your pads every 4-5 hrs and then wear one all night :) ,but yea the flow of your period usually changes but you never know if it will get lighter or heavier !

Well, every girl is different. I had a friend that had hers every 3 weeks... But I think to make sure go to a doctor and ask. But as far as wearing pads, you should change them more often during the day, like every 6 hours. As I said before every girls period is different. I started out with mine being 6 days... and then they went to only being 4 days. So over time you will notice a change.. maybe. But there's nothing wrong with it being 7 days.

2 in a day indicates light flow, though it does depend on how big the pads are!

If your flow was heavy, I'd expect to be changing your pad every couple of hours.

Medically, if you have to get up to change a super pad in the night, they say it's heavy flow.

Your periods are likely to get heavier as you get older, once you get into a rhythm with them.

When you have recently started your period, it takes a while for your body to adjust to a 'normal' cycle. But keep in mind, some people (like myself) always have irregular cycles. And yes it is normal to have a heavy flow, lots of girls do. Don't worry, as you get more used to having a period you will be able to figure whats best for you when it comes to pads etc.

Good Luck! And welcome to womanhood :)