Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 8 years ago

My ping has suddenly increased?

A few days ago I had a ping of 15ms (seen on speedtest.net). But since a few days ago my ping has increased to 280-460ms (seen on speedtest.net). I figured it must have been a virus as there were other signs, so I went ahead and did a reinstall as I wanted to clean my computer of files anyway. I checked again after it was all complete and I was still getting ping of 280-460ms. My little brother, who shares the same connection as I, only gets a ping of 15ms.

My brothers pc and my own are exactly the same; parts, tower, everything. Nothing has changed regarding our pc's at all, but my ping has suddenly shot up a lot whereas his has remained the same. I've reset the modems, I even swapped our ethernet cables around to see if there was a problem with my cable, but the results were the same. Anyone got any ideas on how to sort this out?

Favorite Answer

Sounds like it's your onboard ethernet adapter (if that's what you're using to connect online).

They are very cheap, around $15 I'd say, and are easy to put in.

Charles, a high ping time is not good, because that means you are waiting longer for information to be sent and received.

why????????? r u complaining, most people would be jumping for joy, maybe u got assigned a static IP

Source(s): charles