what causes feet and legs below knees to swell?

feet and legs swell during day and swelling at night

Favorite Answer

With my family, it's usually because of obesity and/or poor circulation. The best thing that we've found is to keep the weight down & do side bends. You don't have to use a lot of weight to do this exercise. It does help, trust me I've done it & it works. What happens is that as you do the side bends, you start strengthening the muscles in you midsection thus allowing your blood to flow from your legs more freely.

Also, I found this to be odd but sure enough, it's true... The fibre content in apples & pears can make feet & legs swell. It's an allergic reaction. I was an AVID exercise enthusiast (jogger). Then my legs started swelling & I didn't know why. A friend recommended that I stop eating apples & pears, I did and sure enough the swelling went away almost immediately. I was jogging in less than half a week. I'd never heard of that before but not more than a year later I shared my experience with another friend who told me that his brother had the same reaction to apples & pears. Go figure, huh?

I hope this helps cause I know how much it sucks to have them swell and hurt like that.

Good luck with it.

There are a number of causes of lower extremity swelling. Probably the most common is venous insufficiency, in which the veins in the legs slowly lose their ability to return blood to the rest of the body. This is a very common and benign condition, and often this is due to slow degradation of the valves contained within the veins, making it easier for blood to pool in the legs when you are sitting or standing. If this is the case, then wearing support stockings during the day and keeping the legs elevated when you are sitting will typically resolve the problem. Other less likely conditions to consider are early symptoms of heart failure, kidney disease and liver disease. Kidney disease can cause swelling through loss of protein in the urine, which allows fluid to seep out of the body's vessels and into the surrounding skin. Liver disease can cause lower extremity swelling (and classically, abdominal swelling) when the pressure in the veins leading to the liver builds up as a result of cirrhosis, where the liver is shrunken and scarred down. Lastly, if the ability of the heart to effectively pump blood is reduced, then fluid may build up behind the right side of the heart, leading to an accumulation of fluid in the legs and abdomen. You should talk about your swelling with your primary care doctor to figure out how best to treat it in your individual case.

When there is a back up of blood in your system you will have swelling occur. To have that happen you have to have tight muscles compressing the blood vessels in your legs to back the blood up. Freeing up your calf muscle, the one that gets really used to cause this to happen, will release the tightness in it so the blood won't be backing up any more and here's how to free your calf up:

Calf muscle:

While sitting pull your leg into your lap. Take the hand on the same side of your body as the leg and wrap your fingers around the front of your leg, about midway, so you can press your thumb into the muscle in the back of your leg. Then take your hand from the opposite side and place it right under your first hand so you can press your thumb into the muscle as well. Then press both in with a good amount of pressure and hold. Now relax your body by taking a deep breath and exhaling then remain this relaxed. After 45 seconds slowly raise the front of your foot upward as far as you can, then release the pressure on the muscle, but continue holding the front of your foot upward for another 30 seconds.

For best results relax your body first by taking a deep breath and exhaling then remain this relaxed.

It could be low blood pressure or fluid buildup in the legs. Definitely talk to your doctor as this can be a sign of some serious cardiovascular or circulatory problems.