Anonymous

Why don't people realize that STATISTICS can EASILY be skewed?

People who gather statistics can easily gather it in a way that will support their side.

For example, if I wanted to find out who was richer, Blacks or Whites? then I can easily take 500 samples from Baldwin Hills or outer PG County and then 500 samples from various poor West Virginia trailer parks and then the "statistics" would end up showing/misleading that Black are richer than Whites when it's really not.

Another example: If I wanted to find out if Blacks or Whites are more mentally stable.I can easily go into a Mental Hospital predominately populated by one race and gather data there and then go into a Psychology classroom and gather data there.

That's why I don't believe in statistics. People can make statistics say anything. It especially annoys me when people blindly pass of statistics as fact. Don't believe everything you here.

Wha I will say, is that Statistics do not tell the FULL story.

For example..they say certain African countries have low IQ

blindly ignoring the fact that many of those countries are either

war-torn, poverty stricken or recovering..Also conveniently ignoring

that when Africans move to more stable countries they make vast

academic achievements..i.e Africans having the highest educational

attainment in America today. As I said, Statistics do not tell the

FULL story.

yeap people wont ever learn that. i remember my state was giving a statistic of how many driving deaths that resulted in death involved alcohol. well, considering there was only like 3, there 80 something percent was only like 2 people anyway. And who knows how many of those people just can't drive in the first place. i see tons of people make numerous driving mistakes sober during the light of day.

the only prove to the people who want to say "i told you so, or i was right" anybody who knows would be like show me the studies, i don't believe you

Because the people distributing the statistics are experts at packaging their results in just the right way, and because many people are not interested in thinking or learning things at odds with what they already know.

most people realize that, thus we have blind and double blind experiments. statistics are not useful when it comes to money because people lie about their finances all the time...