Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 8 years ago

Are ballistic knives legal in the United States?

I was watching deadliest warrior and i so i wonder if the ballistics knife was legal in the U.S. Wouldn't a ballistics knife be classified as an AOW?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

They are federally legal but restricted.

No more may be imported. None may be sold across state lines, Interstate traffic in them is banned. Use in a crime gets an aggravated Federal charge. All out bans were proposed by NY, even SC and AZ senators, but they did not pass. Some states ban them altogether: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_knife#Legal...

AOW's are Not Illegal. $5 transfer tax, like for a belt buckle derringer.

That 1986 thing was a proposed ban by a NY senator, it fell through. State restrictions vary.

Adding the spring is not necessarily illegal. A federal weapons charge is usually 3-4 years, not 5-10. Links?

In many states, you can even Make one, if you keep it Within that state.

"EDIT: (The new) " federal statute prohibited future importation or possession of such knives in interstate commerce. Some individual states following the example set by the federal law and passed even tighter restrictions, sometimes banning ownership of the knives outright within their state.

Current lawSimilar to conventional automatic knives, federal law makes ballistic knives with a spring-operated blade[15] illegal to possess, manufacture, sell, or import "in or affecting interstate commerce."[16] This means they are illegal to import from outside the US, as well as buy or sell over state lines, including possessing or making them with intent to sell over state lines. The federal law also makes it a separate crime to use or possess a ballistic knife during the commission of a federal crime of violence, with a minimum sentence of 5 years in a federal prison. Federal law does not prohibit the possession, manufacture, or sale of a ballistic knife within a state's boundaries, and the individual laws of each state or territory must be consulted to determine whether possession, manufacture, or sale within a given state is legal (many states have statutes that regulate or prohibit the acquisition and/or possession of ballistic knives, and penalties vary from state to state). Like the federal switchblade law, an exception is made for sale to the US Armed Forces within the confines of a contract, as well as possession by duly-authorized members of the Armed Forces in performance of their duty.[17]

A ballistic knife with a blade propelled by an explosive charge is legal to own under federal law, as it is deemed a firearm under the AOW (Any Other Weapons) category of the NFA."

• 8 years ago

no. the ballistic knife was banned in 1986 i think. but an aow would be the g.r.a.d knife or the powell knife gun. or even the cell phone gun. the ballistic knife propelled by gun powder is legal. but id choose a g.r.a.d knife over that hand grenade anyday

really sue? i didnt know that. i thought they were just all out illegal

marcus, read the link sue posted. i just read it and i feel like a tard for scrapping the project i had almost finished for making one

• 4 years ago

dont stay in videogames, son. it gets you nowhere in existence. try google in case you're that desperate. yet keep in mind, dont permit the cops capture your dumb @$$ with it. or fairly do. we dont choose greater human beings such as you mucking approximately. P.S. draco if i've got been you, identity close up. maximum human beings right here ought to kill a squirrel in the event that they found one, with no need to coach to the internet for help. and so as that they think of issues via before putting an ANIMAL seize out. they dont purely throw that $h!t around and not plan on getting quarry.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

if it doesn't have the spring, yes. If you add the spring you commit a felony worth about 5 - 10 years in prison and a 50k fines in my area.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Grad Knife Gun

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.