Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 8 years ago

How long should a flute be left on its stand?

I want to take care of my flute as best as I can. I know the best way to protect it would be to put it back into its case after every use, but I would also like the convenience of just putting it on its stand, because it's a hassle to disassemble it and put it back in the case every time. I suppose one factor is the environment it's kept in. Any flute teachers out there with some advice?

Favorite Answer

Leaving your flute on a flute peg is usually not a problem provided it's in a safe environment. However, it's important to swab out your flute after every use. Excessive condensation can get into the mechanisms and cause your pads to swell. You have to take the flute apart to swab it out so you may as well put it away in its case while you're at it.

Source(s): Owner: http://www.flutemonkey.com/

Mate of mine has been playing flute for 3 or 4 years now and whenever she's not playing it the flute is on the stand. Wears it out more taking it to bits than leaving it complete and upright.