I need help with trying to getting wifi in my house?

So I've been looking at best buy and target websites for routers and modems. If I were to buy one how would I get it set up so I can have wifi? Do I need any thing anything else besides the modem/ router or will that be it. Also one more question I have is what's the difference between a modem and a router? Which does what?

I also went to the mall and saw in the apple store they had this wifi thing. I only want to get wifi for three things my iPhone laptop and Xbox.

Favorite Answer

You want a router with wi-fi

=

Ask the people at the store. They will happily help you.

-

A modem (modulator-demodulator) is a device that modulates an analog carrier signal to encode digital information, and also demodulates such a carrier signal to decode the transmitted information.

-

A router is a device that forwards data packets between computer networks, creating an overlay internetwork.

-

There are modems with wired && wi-fi routers in the same box.

The modem is what connects it to the ISP's server, the router relays it to your computers and wireless devices. That's all you need, and a plan from your ISP. From there, go to the IP 192.168.1.1 and go through the setup. Set up some security for your network, people may be able to do illegal/malicious things if it is open.

Source(s): Personal Experience