A asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

Which one should I learn: Latin OR Swedish?

So I'm 14 and I really want to get a head start on learning a language that is kind of ''unusual'' to speak. I don't really want to learn languages like Spanish or French since I know a lot of people who already know how to speak it so I want to be that one person who learned something a lot more different (Sorry if I'm confusing you a little). I only know English so I'm not sure if it'll be harder for me or not. My school doesn't offer classes for different languages so I don't know if I should take a class that is out of school or an online program. What do you think?

Favorite Answer

Latin is only spoken by the Catholic Church. However, learning it will make a lot of other languages easy. As Latin is the base to other languages. Even though it's a "dead" language it's very much alive. I find Latin to be very interesting.

Swedish is only spoken in Sweden and has smaller numbers in Finland, Norway and Denmark. Swedish will be somewhat easy because it's a Germanic language and so is English. By learning Swedish it'll be easier for you to learn Norwegian, Danish and German. Just remember that not many speak it so you'll have trouble finding people to talk to. You should learn it if you want to live in Sweden or other parts Scandinavia.

Some other suggestions:

Russian- Spoken by over a hundred million people. It's a very useful language if you want to do business with Eastern Europe. It's also unique as people get intimidated by it's alphabet and long words. I think it'd be worth your effort.

Portuguese- Brazil is a country with huge economic growth. Portuguese is similar to Spanish but yet you won't find as many people who speak it in America. It'll be a unique and fun to learn. It's spoken on 4 continents.

@Louie thanks for the information. I'll keep that in mind.

Source(s): I'm French.

As you converse English, you're going to most of the time find Swedish, which is a Germanic language less difficult than French, which is a Latin language. I am studying Norwegian and quite find it irresistible. I find it so much simpler than French as it's so like English. However, the down facet is there are not any classes for minority languages and also you emerge as having to gain knowledge of by myself, so I believe you ought to take this into consideration when you make your choice. You'll find a lot of lessons for French, German and Spanish. English is not as largely spoken in France as it is in Scandinavia and the French do appreciate it when humans make the effort to communicate French. So if you are studying for journeying, you can also find French more useful. You can even converse French in Canada and some areas of the usa. Excellent success along with your selection!

so, it doesn't answer your question, but might be interesting. (did you catch my humor starting my answer with 'so' as so many young people do these days?

@Mathieu -- I don't think that learning Swedish will help you in learning Icelandic. Yes, same North Germanic language family, but vastly different. PS -- Scand*I*navian (not Scandanavian)

--------------------------------------------

Norwegian is a great language to learn for (at least) these reasons

1. Fascinating historical development, including development of nynorsk.

2. Dialects are encouraged and rich

3. Great literature, much of which is not translated

4. Nobel peace prize is given out from Norway

5. primary source material in many fields like equality, social justice, human rights etc etc

6. a relatively easy in to Swedish (Swedish SOUNDS like Norwegian) and Danish (Danish LOOKS like Norwegian)

7. It sets you apart from the masses who have studied other languages (so our graduates tell us when they are out on the job market)

Decide what your motivations are, your access to resources, your goals (since many Norwegian are almost perfect in English, travel isn't all that important).

My website with lots of resources for learners of Norwegian is listed below.