If I don't attend a class in college at all, do I still have to pay the bill?

I thought I dropped the class from what I can recall, and now I'm getting a $500 bill in the mail. I was initially approved for Financial Aid, however I wasn't able to register for all of the classes I needed. I could only sign up for one class, but never attended (not even once). Wouldn't they automatically withdraw the class? I'm pretty sure I dropped the class because I didn't want to have a bad record.

Why am I being charged if financial aid approved to cover me anyway?? And why are they charging me knowing that I never once attended the class?

Please no rude answers.

Favorite Answer

In order for you to be withdrawn from the class and to not owe money, you have to drop the class by a certain date. It's not enough to just try to drop the class (by, say, handing in the form you and your professor signed); you're the one responsible for ensuring that it happened, and that means getting proof. Do you have proof?

You can't count on them to withdraw you from the class for non-attendance, and you certainly can't count on them to withdraw you early enough that you don't owe money. You're the one whom this affects, so you're the one who is responsible.

And they don't charge you based on how many times you were in the classroom; they charge you because you took a seat that they then could not sell to any other student. Colleges do not operate like airlines and overbook classes on the assumption that some people won't show up. There are a certain number of spaces in each class and they can only sell each space once unless someone drops early enough that someone else can sign up.

So yes, unless you can come up with proof that your drop was processed and completed (which is unlikely because if that happened their computer would have a record of it), you owe them for the class, and you also have earned an F in a college course.

• drip

If you signed up and registered for a class, then you are responsible for the cost of the class. Doesn't matter if you attended the class or did not attend once. NO, the school can not withdraw you from a class. Only you can.

Financial aid usually requires you do be a full time student. You may of lost your financial aid when you only enrolled in one class.

You are an adult now. If you didn't understand what the procedure was it was up to you to find out. You can not assume. You assumed the school would drop you when you did not attend. You assumed you still had financial aid.

YOU must check these things out when you are at college.

so right now- first you must pay your bill. there is no way around it. If you plan on going to college in the future you must pay this bill and re take the same class again and get a C or higher. This will replace your F in the class, which you now have.

Classes are not dropped until you go to the registrar in person and withdraw yourself. In most places, you can only drop a course for a tutition refund within the first couple weeks. Usually the return decreases after each week.

Unfortunately, if you are not signed up for 6+ credits, your financial aid would have been cancelled.

Good luck

First, check the date on the bill they sent you, it might have been mailed out before you dropped the class, if that's the case, you don't have to worry. If the bill was sent out after you dropped the class, I would go to the college and see if you can cancel it & tell them that you dropped the class.

Most schools have a freeze date. Sadly if you didn't drop the class you're responsible for the bill. You just not going doesn't count as a drop you usually have to fill out paperwork. Hope things work out for you!

If you can prove you dropped the class before the deadline for dropping a class with no penalty, you do not have to pay the bill.

""I thought I dropped the class""

Either you did or you didn't, and apparently (according to their records, and since such things are done on computer nowadays it's impossible a clerical error was made) you did not.

As a result, according to their policies you have to pay as a result of your own neglect.

The college can't help it if you're stupid.