So sang a little Clod of Clay,

Trodden with the cattle's feet:

But a pebble of the brook,

Warbled out these metres meet.

Love seeketh only Self to please,

To bind another to Its delight:

Joys in another's loss of ease,

And builds a Hell in Heaven's despite.

so what are some poetic techniques? and where r they? and how on earth do they help the reader understand the theme of the poem which i figured was balance and love

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You can get the idea the author is balanced due to the regular stanzas and rhym scheme.

Juxtaposition or enjambment, depending on what you wanna call it is also used by saying: 'And builds a heaven in hells despair' This means when two opposite words are used to express clashing opinions.

Also you can tell love is a major theme due to language used. Words like 'Love', 'please', 'care', 'Heaven', 'delight', 'joy', 'ease' etc.

Also the archaic(old) language implies love and tranquility and balance, such as 'seeketh', 'hath', 'trodden' etc.

Also personification maybe? Because the author refers to love as: 'Love seeketh only Self to please' - notice use of capital letter as if it's a name.

Hope I helped :D

Source(s): mah brain.
  • 8 years ago

It appears you are using a rhythmic variation to iambic pentameter--five iambs in a row. In poetry iambic pentameter can vary and many poets do it successfully. There's a beat you hear as you read this aloud. And so can you. Tap with your hands as you read it. You'll soon here a rhythmic pattern. It's that pattern of short and long beats you want to keep consistent if you can. Yes, variations are done, but again, they need to stay consistent to what you're creating.

The second four line verse is off beat. Perhaps that's what you're doing? The beats don't feel right to me, though. Try it yourself. See if you can hear where it goes off.

The poem is nice and well thought out. You have a good mind for poetry. Good luck.

• Autumn
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

I do like poetry but I don't know a lot about it. It can help the reader understand because everyone can find their own meaning from the poem

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

ok we hate you too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.