So sang a little Clod of Clay,

Trodden with the cattle's feet:

But a pebble of the brook,

Warbled out these metres meet.

Love seeketh only Self to please,

To bind another to Its delight:

Joys in another's loss of ease,

And builds a Hell in Heaven's despite.

so what are some poetic techniques? and where r they? and how on earth do they help the reader understand the theme of the poem which i figured was balance and love

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

They've personified the clay and pebble, making them much like two people singing their conflicting ideas of love to each other. It helps build a scene for the reader to imagine, while pressing these ideas at the same time through means that are a little more easily understood than just indirect means such as simple imagery.

The clay:

While in love, people often don't care about themselves, nor pleasing themselves as much as they used to, but instead they're focused on making things better for the person they're in love with. They get rid of their selfish intentions in order to help the other person, due to their deep feelings for them. "And builds a Heaven in Hell's despair" basically says that while in love, a person will do their best to give their significant other the best possible, even in the face of the most difficult challenges life has to offer. The line makes an allusion to Heaven and Hell, which provides a concrete idea that most readers will understand (most people understand the concept of Heaven and Hell; it makes for an easy comparison).

The pebble:

While in love, people are selfish. They only aim to make themselves happy, and they'll gladly blind the other person in order to do so (the idea of love blinding a person is almost as archaic as some of the words used in this poem lol; often times while in love, people will lose sight of reason and logic, due to their strong emotions for another). It is as though the person is sadistic, and they take pleasure in seeing the other suffer for them, creating a Hell for them in what would normally be Heaven (the allusion concept is still the same here).

To me, it seems as though they see it through opposite eyes; it gives a view from both viewpoints- the one who is willing to suffer for the other, and the one who watches the other suffer and does nothing to help them. Obviously, the clod of clay is the one who sees love as being willing to suffer for another to make their life beautiful, which is pretty funny when you think about it, because the clay is being beaten down constantly by the cattle's feet; the clay is used to being beaten down, and it seems to think this is the norm. The pebble, on the other hand, is in a brook/stream, which is generally a very peaceful, beautiful type of place. They're both in drastically different scenarios, which give them their differing ideas on love, but they almost seem to be co-existent as lovers- kinda like a Yin/Yang scenario.

Literary devices:

- Allusion (reference to Heaven and Hell)

- Personification (giving the pebble and clay human characteristics; the emotion of love is personified as well)

- Metaphor ("building Heaven", a person "blinded" by love)

Well, that's what I've pulled out of it.

Take it as you wish, though. Poetry is all about interpretation, and it may mean something different to someone else.

Source(s): Took two years of AP English; We had to do this type of thing in class all of the time... Also, I love poetry.
  • 4 years ago

i like it. that's the purely precise sentence from intercourse without Love by employing Sharon Olds which first confirmed me what poetry is able to (that's somewhat long): they're like great runners: they comprehend they're on my own with the line floor, the chilly, the wind, the slot of their shoes, their over-all cardio- vascular wellness—purely aspects, like the companion interior the mattress, and not the certainty, that's the only physique on my own interior the universe against its very own superb time. Edit: and likely as Cheese Whisperer says i'm going to no longer be following guidelines...that's close nevertheless.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.