What is wrong with my throat?

My throat has been producing hard pieces of what I think is phlegm in the back of my throat. I have to hack and hack intensely to get them out and even when I get a piece out it still feels like there's an even bigger lump of phlegm back there. It is also causing bad breath and my tongue smells like how the phlegm smells. There's a lump on the left side of my throat lining. Does anyone know what's wrong or how I can get rid of it? My insurance just expired so doctor's office is a little out of the question until I get new insurance.

Thank you

Favorite Answer

you didn't say what type of pain if its sharp like razors when you swallow and your tonsils are red and swollen it could be tonsillitis,if it sore a at the back has bumps and is burning red it could be strep.

the gland is swollen and this indicates a viral infection but if its on one side prominently it could be mumps.

Doctors will prescribe antibiotics. Build up your immune system with calcium ascorbate (vit c) and and you can supplement with herbal or natural alternatives.

Could be tonsil stones