Zoeandadam asked in PetsHorses · 8 years ago

when do horses normally retier from riding ? how old can u ride them till ? xx?

Favorite Answer

I think that they can ride till they start experincing pain while riding there is no set age

You can ride a horse until they show signs of discomfort while riding. Some horses are retired in their teens or even in early adulthood if they have a heath problems or lameness that force them to retire, and some horses are ridden well into their thirties. It all depends on the health of the individual horse. If a horse's death is unexpected, they may not be retired at all before they die. An average among the horse's I've known has been around 25 when they are retired from riding, due to arthritis, tumors, or other age-related illness. I currently own a 23-year-old gelding who is still very fit. He is leased to my riding instructor where he gives lessons full-time and my riding instructor's daughter is showing him this year. He even still jumps.

First I love older horses, I think they're are a blessing( to young riders, and a comfort to their parents.) Older horses have been there and done that, so to speak. It might be the rider's first show, but the horse has been to more then you could remember. It really depends on the horse, some can be rode into their 30s others in their late or mid teens. It depends from horse to horse, and what type of riding they had done. So retired horses are used as pasture mate, others are a child's pet. It depends on the personality of the horse. When they are retired, they pretty much eat, sleep, and are taken care of daily.

Note: On a general rule, older horse are more maintenance, but if you have the time and energy older horses can be a great first horse.

Source(s): Life

It depends on the horse. Different individuals age differently depending on genetics and what they have done in the past.

If they are healthy and have a sound mind, you can continue to ride them well into "old" age. I've ridden a 28 year old TBH that was retired due to eye injury.

Here's an Arabian that has been ridden at age 42! Most horses do not even live that long. Amazing: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2010/jul/10/still-h...

It completely depends on the horse. Some horses can be in work until they're in their thirties, some need to be retired at a really young age if they have an injury or something. Smaller horses/ponies tend to live longer than bigger ones. But yeah depends how well condition the horse is and what kind of riding you mean :)

Ride them until they can't ride anymore. The best horses I've ever riden were older. Just don't push them to pain or suffering. Make sure they are comfortable.

Yes