what does 'would' mean in the below sentence?

I'm afraid of telling him out of fear of rejection.

Question about above sentence on Past Tense:

"Was she afraid he would say no?"

in the mentioned sentence 'he would say' means :

would imagine, say, think, etc. (that)… used to give opinions that you are not certain about ?

or

would is past of 'will'?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Past of 'will'. If it were in present tense, it would be "Is she afraid he will say no?"

• 8 years ago

"Would" is not the past tense of "will" because "will" is the future tense of "be," and the past tense is, therefore, "was." Would is used to show imagination - here, imagining what might have been said in the past. We can change this sentence to present -

"Is she afraid he will say no?"

and you can see that "would" becomes "will." The reason for that is because the situation is not imagined for the past here, but instead shows a potential for the future.

• Kim
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Your grammer indicates that you should read that text book a little more. To listen to music in this context would be to have it consume your focus. You have switched off your mind and are listening only. Of course this would incorporate a lot more of your body and involve more than one sense. It would be akin to the expression, "The music washed over me", or, "The music carried me away". Sometimes you want to be more proactive. You want to make or contribute to the music and be part of the emotion it invokes. You want to play an instrument, sing or tap your feet. A musician, (or all of us), sometimes wants to be carried away by the music and at other times wants to shape it and become 'involved', or 'part' of the experience.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Would is the past tense of 'will'.

Even the teacher doesn't even make sense! Would is past of 'will'.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

It's just a rule of the language.

• 8 years ago

Afraid he would say no means, she is afraid so "unsure" i assume

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.