Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 8 years ago

Canada Vs. USA, Which is better and why?

Me and my best friend are disgusted with the US at this point and have been for quite some time now. In the past 6 months I have lost my house, my car, and my job due to the crashing economy. I have been discussing the possibility of moving to canada with friends and relatives for the past month or so, but I cannot seem to find the answers im looking for. I want to know the differences of the US vs Canada, cost difference, schooling, laws, everything. If someone would take the time to answer me it would be a breath of fresh air, Thank you.

In better detail, I would like to know:

The laws in immigrating to Canada.

Some important/interesting law differences in USA and Canada.

Gas prices.

Medical/Dental costs

Living guidelines, (ex: in USA usually you have to make 3 times the amount of rent to rent) What are the guidelines there?

And what all is required to visit Canada and tour Victoria?

Any other helpful information would be greatly appreciated...

In better detail, I would like to know:

The laws in immigrating to Canada.

Gas prices.

Medical/Dental costs

In better detail, I would like to know:

The laws in immigrating to Canada.

Gas prices.

Medical/Dental costs

Favorite Answer

Canada is bigger than the USA, so, things will very depending on where you go.

Literally MILLIONS of people apply to come to Canada every year, and since the US economy tanked, there are now millions of Americans applying. So, Canada can afford to accept only the very best. Basically, to come to Canada you will need a skill or profession that is in demand in Canada. We do have millions of unemployed people here, so, you need to be able to do something that no Canadian can be found to do. Or, have several hundred thousand dollars to invest.

In general, things cost more in Canada, but, wages are higher. There is a much smaller gap between rich and poor. With the Universal Healthcare system, no-one is bankrupted just because they got sick. While Canadian laws come down from the Crown (technically from the Queen of Canada), and US ones come up from the people, the actual differences are fairly small. Our police do not have the same jurisdictions as US ones - a Mountie can arrest you anywhere in the country. So could a city cop. They probably wouldn't, but, legally, they could, unlike in the USA. But, Canadians are more law abiding than Americans in general. It is totally illegal to carry any sort of weapon for self defence, for example - not even a stick. But, Canada is a very safe country too. Other than that, the laws are pretty similar for most of us. We do not sue each other nearly as much as in the USA though. Personal lawsuits are pretty rare in fact.

Most medical costs are taken care of by the Provincial medical insurance plans. Some provinces have fees - e.g., Ontario has a maximum of $300 per year, but, only the really rich would pay that much. My last year I paid nothing, as my salary was low. Where I am now there are no fees at all. I do have to pay for medications, and for the dentist, but, doctor visits, etc., are free.

For the actual mechanics of moving, see the government website:

www.cic.gc.ca/english/

Canada is not that different from the US, so adjusting to it really would not be difficult if you chose to move.

However, I have heard Canada is a bit more expensive to live in (dependent on the area you choose to settle into), and schooling over there is similar to the US, but not identical. What details were you looking for specifically?

Law, again, is similar to the United States. Contrary to popular belief, pot is illegal in Canada.

Moving to Canada is only a problem because the immigration system is a bit more strict now than the USA. I suggest you Google Canadian immigration test and see if you can score the 67 points out of the 100 needed to gain access to Canada through the Skilled Workers path. Since I don't know your credentials, it is difficult for me to assume one thing or the other. Having a basic knowledge of French can help, but knowing English is a bigger concern when entering Canada.

I apologize I can't be of more assistance. I do warn you though I have heard Canada is just as hard to find work in respect to most career fields as the US can be. If you can find a job offer in Canada, it can help with immigration.

Best of Luck,

John

Costs are ridiculously higher. Schooling is very different in how blocks of things that have to be taught are organized into grades. The American justice system is a miracle compared to how redundant Canada's justice system is. For immigrating, you'll first have to either get a job in Canada or come in as a student or skilled worker. Medical costs are going to be high for you during the first 3-4 years needed to become a citizen, but it is still considerably cheaper than in the US. You should not be spending more than roughly 1/3 of your income on rent. To visit Victoria you need a passport/enhanced drivers license and a mode of transport.

The first thing you need to worry about is whether or not you would be eligible to immigrate. You can't just move here.

You're not likely going to get a nice, neat answer to the rest of the information you're looking for. Prices of consumer goods are generally higher in Canada than in the US. Schooling varies by province. Laws are far too numerous to go into - is there anything in specific you're wondering about. "Everything" is just to vague to know what information you're after.

I live pretty close to the Canada/US boarder. I visit the states often and honestly I can say that I love Canada. People here are more friendly and defiantly more polite. It is much more expensive to live here (in certain areas, like where I'm from)

a townhouse can cost up to $500,000! which is pretty crazy if you ask me, but if you get a good job this shouldn't be a problem.

jobs are pretty hard to get at the moment, depending on the field!

good luck!!

• ?

By the book stats will tell you that Canada is, Canada has a longer life expectancy than the US, the average lifespan in the US for men is 75.6 years and 80.8 years for women which overall is 78.2 years which puts the US at 38th in the world just behind Cuba and just ahead of Portugal.

Canada has an average span of 78.3 years for men and 82.9 for women which overall is 80.7 years which puts Canada at 10th in the world (tied with metropolitan France) just behind Macau and Sweden and just ahead of Italy.

In terms of Per Capita income Canadians make sightly more than Americans do. Schooling is very good in Canada, we were recently ranked as having the best overall education in the English speaking world. Things are more expensive in Canada but then again minimum wage in Canada is $10.25 where I am, which is significantly higher than anywhere in the US.

In Canada same-sex marriage has been legal since 2005 with no problems, drinking ages are 18 or 19 depending on the province, not 21. English and French are both official languages and both languages are written on everything and I mean everything.

Every Canadian citizen has health care, we are all covered under our provincial plans and it is not free, it is paid for through the taxes we pay every year, the positive is that nobody gets denied and nobody has to worry about selling all their worldly possessions to pay for a night in the hospital like in the US. The wait times are exaggerated don`t believe everything you hear from the US news.

Overall I love Canada and I think its the best country in the world to be honest, I wouldn`t live anywhere else.

• My aunt died bc she was denied so stfu ;(

Why do so many Americans want to move to Canada? Its probably due to the fact that its about time that they came to realise that the USA is no way the greatest nation on Earth any more.

Canada: I had been in both, and i love to tell you canada is one of the best countrys. USA has lots of guns and gun shops, while canada has some. Canada is really peaceful. they get free healthcare, however, they need to pay taxes. Canadians are peace loving people, and respect the Asians. They use polite words too.

USA: usa is a good country, and busy too. lots of americans are nice, but some swear too much. some places are so busy, every wear you hear cars and people. However, lots of murders happen compared to canada.

So reallly, canada is better.

A lot of the answers to your questions vary from Province to Province so my specific answers will be about British Columbia - where I live.

"cost difference"

Things tend to cost more in Canada than in the USA, however that's relative... most incomes are higher in Canada with the Canadian economy doing much better than the USA's economy is at present. US dollars and Canadians dollars are pretty much at par at the moment... usually the US dollar is stronger but the Canadian dollar does get higher sometimes - this might be one of those times.

"schooling"

The Canadian educational system is ranked among the best in the world; BC for example has many foreign students in our schools and universities as a result. If popularity is a sign seems Canada doesn't fairly well in this respect.

http://www.gov.bc.ca/bced/

"laws"

Much more liberal than in the USA in most regards... example there are no laws outlawing discrimination against gays lesbians bis transgenders etc like some countries have. Fact is in Canada nobody is that special, in Canada you don't discriminate against anyone - for any reason. That's just not what we're about.

Flip side of the coin is guns, something the USA built it's country around and it's culture steeped deeply in guns and the right to bear arms, where-as in Canada gun possession is limited to hunting and such. No reason anyone needs a gun in public.

"Despite these similarities, there are many areas where the law of the U.S. and Canada differ. For example, in Canada, juries are almost exclusively used for criminal cases, whereas in the U.S., juries often are used for non-criminal cases. Employment law is also different. The U.S. concept of “employment at will” -- that is, an employee can be dismissed for no reason and with no notice, is apparently non-existent in Canada. You either have to give your employee a reason why you’re dismissing him, or give him advance notice. One other notable difference: same-sex marriage is legal throughout Canada."

http://legallad.quickanddirtytips.com/Canada.aspx

EDIT TO ADD:

"In better detail, I would like to know The laws in immigrating to Canada."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/live/index....

"Medical/Dental costs"

Medical - Canada has healthcare. A certain percentage of your wages goes to Canada's healthcare system, if you are not employed healthcare is provided for free.

"From January 1, 2011, to December 31, 2011 monthly rates are $60.50 for one person, $109.00 for a family of two and $121.00 for a family of three or more. Effective January 1, 2012, monthly rates are $64.00 for one person, $116.00 for a family of two and $128.00 for a family of three or more."

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/premium.ht...

"And what all is required to visit Canada and tour Victoria?"

A passport if you are over 16... a birth certificate and letter of permission from parents otherwise.

Wise choice (i live near Vancouver)... Victoria is super awesome in summer. I recommend The Butchart Gardens and whale watching.

http://www.butchartgardens.com/index.php?option=co...

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/explore/islan...

MOST IMPORTANTLY...

"we have legit bacon"

Truer words have never been spoken. They're bang on right!

*chuckles*

Canada's a kingdom, a constitutional monarchy. The USA is a republic.

Canada's the birthplace of Multiculturalism. The US has the opposite: monocultural assimilation.

Canada is internationally rated as:

-The world's best advanced economy.

-The world's soundest banking system.

-The world's top country brand-rating.

-The world's most tolerant nation.

-The world's most multicultural society.

-The world leader in educational attainment.

-The highest quality of life in the G7 and 2nd highest in the OECD.

-The safest G7 nation to live in.

-The G7's most fairly-administered judicial system.

-The G7 leader in providing equal opportunities for individuals.

-The only G7 nation fully recovered from the global financial crisis & recession.

-The world's best country for business.

-The strongest fiscal position of all G‑7 nations.

-The best G7 nation for business over the next 5 years.

Canada's also rated as being:

-One of the world's 10 safest countries.

-One of the world's 10 most peaceful nations.

-One of the world's 10 happiest countries.

-One of the world's 10 least corrupt nations.

-One of the world's 10 freest countries.

No other nation on Earth is all that, including the USA.

And speaking of the US:

-Canada's Constitution provides more rights & freedoms than America's.

-Canadian's pay fewer taxes per person than Americans.

-Canada's median net worth is a whopping 70% higher than America's.

-Canada's national debt is measured in billions. Not trillions like America.

-Canadians are healthier & live years longer than Americans due to universal healthcare.

-Canada's Triple A credit rating was reaffirmed, not downgraded like America's.

Plus a whole lot more:

'Multiculturalism has been Canada's solution, not its problem'

Link - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/opini...

"The majority of Canadians view immigration as a positive thing, in direct contrast to the increasingly anti immigrant attitude in other Western developed countries"

-The German Marshall Fund, a US-based think-tank.

"If the U.S. Constitution is no longer the chief inspiration for constitution-making in other nations, who is the new king? Canada. That’s who."

Link - http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2012/02/08/canada-constit...

'Montreal and Toronto are more powerful when it comes to influencing music trends than L.A., New York, Seattle or dozens of other major North American cities according to a new study.'

Link - http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2012/04/are-t...

As mentioned, we have universal healthcare.

By law, all medically-necessary care is provided without limit or limitation.

By law, only doctors and hospitals can decide what's medically necessary.

By law, that means all neonatal, preventive, primary, emergency, diagnostic, rehabilitative and follow up care.

By law, it's provided regardless of an individual's ability to pay.

By law, all Canadians are covered everywhere they live or travel in Canada from coast to coast.

And while travelling outside Canada, all emergency care is covered as well.

If a Canadian doctor decides a patient needs care unavailable for any reason in Canada (i.e.: the world's leading specialist) our system can and does send that patient anywhere in the world they need to go to get it.

Not even the US government - including the President - has coverage as comprehensive as what all Canadians, from richest to poorest, receives as our legal right.