Ahs
Ahs asked in PetsFish · 8 years ago

Using prime... Ammonia in tap?

If it detoxified ammonia for 48 hours, does that mean I add another dose every 48 hours?

Favorite Answer

If I remember correctly from reading the bottle, the 'normal' dose of Prime based on water volume will detoxify 1 ppm of ammonia. Dose Prime when doing water changes to detoxify the level of ammonia you are getting from your tap water, and I think you'll be fine.

The Prime should detoxify the ammonia long enough for your biofilter to clear it from your tank.

If I recall correctly, the ammonia detoxification wears off in about 48 hours, so what I'd do is....

Do the water change with the proper dose of Prime to detoxify the ammonia, then retest ammonia in 48 hours. If ammonia is zero, you're golden -- the Prime made the tap water safe long enough to allow the filter to clear it. If you still have ammonia, dose Prime in accordance to your water volume and remaining ammonia level, retest in 48 hours... etc..

But I think you'll find that your established biofilter will have no trouble clearing the ammonia before the Prime wears off.

This is why I have been using SEACHEMS PRIME for 5 years...

This product just doesn't remove chloramines found in tap water but covers a larger range of toxins that can be found in tap water like ammonia....

Just like any other water conditioner just add when you add new water.....thats it :) You need no additional treatments.

If your still having ammonia issues in the tap, I recommend filling buckets, or 1 gallon jug, use the conditioner, then let the water sit for a couple of days.

Another thing that would help would be more filtration. (just a suggestion- I have no idea what you have for a filter I just find any prolonged issue that I've had has been cured with massive filtration. Over the years I've built up filtration in my tank to the point all my toxin levels are now at 0) .

Another reason I like this product is the fact that it's more concentrated than any other product. So yeah, I may pay $4-5 more than another product but a bottle lasts me 5X longer! This with all the other products I have to purchase saves me a grip of $$$ in the long run....

Source(s): 140 gallon long, 30 gallon sump, 20-30% weekly water changes. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 7.0 PH
  • Dan M

Well you can ask the Seachem Support line.

http://www.seachem.com/support/Support.html

If you have an established bio-filter (the nitrification cycle) the bacteria are supposed to be able to convert the detoxified ammonia to nitrite and then nitrate, so you would not need further treatment past the 48 hours. Ammonia is invisible and once dissolved in water, odorless, so an ammonia test is needed.

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/s-265-ammonia-in...

One common method to remove ammonia from tap water is to increase the chlorination, converting the ammonia to chloramine, which can be removed before the water is used for aquarium or other uses. Ammonia does not dissipate from water like chlorine does. It is extremely attracted to water. You can't set it out and aerate your tap water to remove ammonia.

Water supplies in agricultural areas can have an ammonia problem most likely due to fertilizer runoff. The problem may be seasonal and you can plan your water needs in advance, to some extent to avoid the worst times of year.