James asked in HealthMental Health · 8 years ago

Is there a way to tell if someone has brain damage?

Would someone be able to tell if someone else had brain damage, without using a MRI machine (or whichever machine it is)? I have had multiple head injuries as a child (When I was 5, I got hit in the front of my head with a golf club, and had to get stitches. It was an accident though. When I was 7, I fell backwards and hit my head on a table, had to get stitches and still have a scar on the back of my head.) and I wonder if I have brain damage. Would these things cause brain damage? Would I need a doctor to prove/disprove if I had brain damage?

• Lisa
    Favorite Answer

Hi James, according to WebMD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is caused by an external force -- such as a blow to the head -- that causes the brain to move inside the skull or damages the skull. This in turn damages the brain.

Causes of traumatic brain injury include:

car accidents

blows to the head

sports injuries

falls or accidents

physical violence

There are numerous symptoms of brain damage, whether traumatic or acquired. They fall into four major categories:

Cognitive symptoms of brain damage include:

difficulty processing information

difficulty in expressing thoughts

difficulty understanding others

shortened attention span

inability to understand abstract concepts

impaired decision-making ability

memory loss

Perceptual symptoms of brain damage include:

change in vision, hearing, or sense of touch

spatial disorientation

inability to sense time

disorders of smell and taste

balance issues

heightened sensitivity to pain

Physical symptoms of brain damage include:

persistent headaches

extreme mental fatigue

extreme physical fatigue

paralysis

tremors

seizures

sensitivity to light

sleep disorders

slurred speech

loss of consciousness

Behavioral/emotional symptoms of brain damage include:

irritability and impatience

reduced tolerance for stress

sluggishness

flattened or heightened emotions or reactions

denial of disability

increased aggressiveness

The extent and effect of brain damage is determined by a neurological exam, neuroimaging testing such as X-rays or CT scans, and neuropsychological assessment such as checking reflexes. Doctors will stabilize the patient to prevent further injury, ensure blood and oxygen are flowing properly to the brain, and ensure that blood pressure is controlled.

It may be best to seek the advice of a doctor.

• Ann

You can tell if there's brain damage and which parts of the brain are injured by having a neuropsychological assessment. This is a paper-and-pencil test that assesses all kinds of things, like memory, visual-motor skills, auditory memory, motor skills, and a lot of other things. These tests are usually given in a clinic, and they're very accurate. If you've been hit in the head numerous times, it's a pretty good bet you've had some trauma. A neurologist can order an EEG test, but sometimes if the injury is an old one, nothing will show up. I would go for the neuropsychological.

Deep is a more versatile word, having serveral meanings. It could mean a deep hole, a deep feeling, or deep as in a synonym of profound. Profound has only one meaning. It means insightful (best way I can describe it). Brain damaged actually means someone received damage to their brain, either through neurological pathways or trauma to the head. Weird is a personality trait, and is not interchangeable with brain damaged in any way.

no. thank god! hope you are good!

refer to this for the info , may be you are asking

Injury can cause vessels to bleed, compressing the brain Injuries to the head can leave victims susceptible to early death even years later through impaired judgement, a major analysis of survivors shows. Those with a history of psychiatric disorders before the injury are most at risk of dying prematurely.

http://www.medicalpal.info/archives/3967

http://www.medicalpal.info/archives/category/injur...