Taylor asked in PetsRodents · 9 years ago

I would like to raise some rat babies?

I have a female rat. I really want to raise some babies but my mom is not quite on board. Would I need to buy a male? Will it be easy to find new homes for the babies?

• Sapien
    Favorite Answer

Breeding is a hefty investment in time, money, space and knowledge. It's really not a game.

First, you need to research. Find some websites on rat breeding and start learning. If you are in any way serious or responsible, you will NOT overlook this important step. Yahoo answers is no place for solid info, you need to have your own reliable resources.

You will need three full sized cages. One for the mom and her young, one for the male because he can't live with the rest, and one spare one in case anything goes horribly wrong and you need to separate. The third may also be used for the males when they are sexually mature.

Rats can have up to 15 babies. Yes finding them homes IS difficult. If they aren't wanted by anyone, prepare to keep all of them yourself. Rats should NEVER live alone, so you will need another female for your current rat, and TWO males, not one. Or prepare to sell them as snake food as a last resort...

If you ask me, do the research first, and decide for yourself afterwards. It's a rewarding experience if you know what you are doing. It can become a mess if you don't. Right now, you need to focus on getting your female a companion, if you ask me. Not breeding.

• Mady

Of course you need a male. Depends on where you live and if you know a lot of people that like rats. I had an accident litter in the past and ended up keeping ALL SIX babies because I couldn't find homes for any of them. SO if you do decide to have a litter, find homes for the babies BEFORE you breed the female.

Also, please be a responsible breeder. Make sure you know the health history on both sides (Male and Female) because you don't want to pass on any bad genetics or illnesses to the babies because they are sure to have an unhealthy life. So if your female or male in the past have had problems with respiratory issues, DO NOT breed them. Breeding will cause a lot of stress on the mother and if she has trouble breathing because of a respiratory infection then it can be life threatening to the mother and babies, and could possibly kill them...PLEASE DO TONS OF RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BREED!

Or you could just make it easy on yourself and not breed at all! Be a responsible rat owner...

Of course you would need a male to make babies with the female...

ofcourse it would be easy to find them a home, how about we ask top cat if he could lend us a place for them to live?

NO, it will not be easy.

Source(s): I suggest researching about this on google.