Was my violent behavior justifiable, against a public smoker?

I use to be an asthma sufferer when I was a child, and I always hated how smokers would smoke in "DO NOT SMOKE" areas. This would make me very ill and cause coughing fits when I passed by them. Luckily, I matured and outgrew my asthma. Today I was at a public area with "DO NOT SMOKE WITHIN 100 M... show more I use to be an asthma sufferer when I was a child, and I always hated how smokers would smoke in "DO NOT SMOKE" areas. This would make me very ill and cause coughing fits when I passed by them. Luckily, I matured and outgrew my asthma.

Today I was at a public area with "DO NOT SMOKE WITHIN 100 M OF MALL PERIMETER" signs strategically placed in virtually every corner. I approached a man who was smoking a cigarette and told him he wasn't allowed to smoke here. He told me it was none of my business, then blew smoke in my face. So I responded my taking the cigarette out of his mouth and throwing it on the ground.

He then pulled out a pocket knife and slashed it at me. Luckily, I have been doing Brazilian jujitsu and many other combat sports for several years now- so I was able to defend myself. I broke this persons arm and then punched him in the face, followed by a swift knee to his kidney. The guy literally collapsed on the floor coughing up blood and they had to call an ambulance. The police questioned me, and many other shoppers stated I was a good Samaritan simply stopping a crime in progress.

The police decided not to arrest me, and they let me go because there were many witnesses saying he brazenly assaulted me with an illegal weapon. I feel slightly bad for this man, seeing as he will most likely go to prison for a few years. Did I do the right thing? Many smokers were saying I should have minded my own business, but I think that I did the right thing and that they should not blow smoke into the faces of others.
Update: I am shaken by the incident, as I could have been severely injured. However, it all happened on impulse.
Update 2: @GirlsDeadMonster: He was illegally smoking in a do not smoke area, I had every right to remove the cigarette from his mouth after he did not cooperate. I was making a citizens arrest. He blew smoke straight in my face, as well; provoking me.