Why would someone file a federal tax return using my name, address and SS number?

what can they gain by filing such a tax return.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

This is called identity theft and is like other kinds of theft. You are a victim and should file a police report; then you have to obtain a passport number so prove you are who you say you are. This theft will impact your financial life for as long as you live.

• Bobbie
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

And are you positive that an income tax return was filled out and filed using your above enclosed information for this purpose and have you thought about contacting your local IRS office to see if they really do have a copy of this tax return that you could get at this time in your life and then look at it and see why that it was done in this way and the IRS will charge you a $ 57 fee for this copy BUT it should be worth that to you to be able to get the original information that was used at that time in your life into your hands for this purpose RIGHT.

NOW maybe you are not sure about the tax return being file and only that you name and SSN was used as a dependent of another taxpayer for the tax year and when you tried to file your own 1040 income tax return it was REJECTED for that reason and so you never did file your own 1040 income tax return at all for this tax year RIGHT.

Sure would be nice to know what exactly has went on in your situation at this time in your life and for what reason and purpose RIGHT.

For IRS (TAC) Taxpayer Assistance Center locations, business hours and an overview of services, visit www.irs.gov. Just go to the “Individuals” tab and click on” Contact My Local Office” in the left tool bar section under IRS Resources.

Need Tax Help? Visit an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=225951,0...

Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 07/26/2012

• 7 years ago

They may have used your address, but I guarantee you they requested a direct deposit refund. They get a refund to which they are not entitled and all Criminal Investigations has to go on is a temporary bank account set up to receive the refund.

Do not request a copy of the bogus return. That is a waste of everyone's time. Concentrate on getting your account corrected. If you have not already done so, complete a Form 14039 and send it to the IRS along with a copy of your drivers license.

• 7 years ago

An earned income credit or access to a tax refund? Get you in trouble with IRS for false information? I'd suggest you obtain a copy and investigate further.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

A refund?

• tro
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

maybe money

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.