Why did this atheist fail to provide evidence that shows atheism is true?

I was watching this debate where a woman in the crowd embarrasses the atheist in debate by telling him he has not provided any proof and evidence that atheism is true..therefore atheism is based on blind faith. Why did the atheist bring up boxer shorts? He said boxer shorts prove atheism is true? The bizarre video of this atheist is here

Best Answer

Stop talking about atheism like it's a religion. Of course the guy was baffled, that's a stupid question.

I have no desire to watch random youtube videos. What is really bizarre is that you (and evidently the woman in your video) seem to think that the lack of belief should have evidence to support it. It's really hard to imagine that neither of you understand skeptical or objective thinking.

Given the number of people that really don't understand formal logic but that claim to think logically, it isn't that weird that you might think that you could provide evidence for a negative claim, but in formal logic (as well in other lines of rational thought) it has long been known that you can not satisfactorily show that something does not exist, and thus the burden of proof is on the claimant.

Edit:

So I actually watched a bit of your video but after the "text overlays" obsession with the example of boxer shorts, which if you listened was clearly an example and nowhere near anything qualified as "an obsession" as the edited text seemed to be obsessed with.

(granted, it seems like the speaker leave much to be desired and may have chosen a poor example, but he is clearly using boxer shorts as an hypothesis.)

Edit:

I was trying to forward to the part where about the woman's question but ended up in the other dudes decent into unsupported assertions which amounted to "I experienced something, therefore whatever interpretation I give to my subjective experiences is not delusional, even if my interpretation contradicts all evidence". Sheesh, this guy can pack a ton of meaningless nothing into more words that do nothing but make him sound "educated". The atheist is a poor speaker, chose a poor example for his point, the "Christian" is a fabulous speaker, but is clueless about the point that the atheist made and the guy putting the text up, is a complete idiot as he did not listen to or even try to understand the arguments.

"Where is your evidence that atheism is true?" You could have heard a pin drop as the atheists stuttered and stammered and then panicked on live radio. - Personally it would be because I could not believe that a person who is still breathing could ask something so monumentally stupid. Is it true that atheists use faith for their belief? - No, it is an absolute fact that fundies have no evidence for a deity and that makes atheism an absolute fact.

Get some education. Atheism is the lack of belief in gods. There are many people who don't believe in any gods. Therefore, atheism is true.

Source(s): Atheist.
  • Seph

Atheism is about assuming there are no gods until you see evidence otherwise, you don't need proof of that standpoint as it's just a choice, not an assertion.

There are lots of things I assume don't exist until I see evidence otherwise. Infinite things in fact. That does not mean I have infinite blind faith.

When it comes down to it, the religious and the atheist are in fact quite similar. They both take evidence as far as they can go, and then fly on the wings of faith. The difference is in what they count as evidence.

• Well, to put it simply if you understand just what Atheism means..

A means No, The means God, ism is Belief.

Get it now?

No God Belief

We don't believe in god.

There, I just proved Atheism, with Atheism. Beat that?

Atheism has no set of beliefs; we don't have to provide anything to you. If there is no evidence for a god then there is no reason to believe it.

Sigh...one last time....

Atheism is the belief that no gods exist. We have zero evidence to suppose that atheism is wrong. When you can show proof that your god exists, please, by all means, pass it along, and if the evidence is verifiable, we'll believe.

where is the universe that you live in, in which you have to prove negatives instead of positives?

do you have to prove that invisible unicorns arent orbiting around venus in order to not believe that claim?

can you prove that there isnt a bunch of aliens on a planet billions of lightyears away that have bodies in the shape of penises? whats that? you cant? OH! that must mean that they exist!

do you understand how stupid your reasoning is?

a·the·ism

   [ey-thee-iz-uhm]

noun

1. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

The lack of believe in gods. I do not believe in gods. I am an atheist. Therefore, atheism is "true".