Questions about moving to Canada?

I am thinking of relocating to Canada and I have a few questions:

1- I work from home, for a company based out of Minnesota. Do I need to do anything differently, as far as taxes go? Or is that all up to my employer? What does he need to do?

2- I see that you need to apply for a residency card. Do you move to Canada first before applying for this, or do you apply for this before you even get there?

3- I understand I will have to switch my driver's license and car insurance over, but how soon do I need to do that? Do I have to get the plates changed on my car and register it with the DMV right away?

4- I am able to bring my cat into the country, without having to do anything?


4 Answers

  • bw022
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    You can't move to Canada unless you have Canadian citizenship. It has immigration laws. I recommend you read the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site.

    As a US citizen, you may visit Canada for up to 180 day per year as a tourist. You may not attend school, work, or look for work without the a study permit, work permit, or permanent residency. Without proof of legal residency, you may not open a bank account, obtain a driver's license, register or insure a vehicle, obtain health insurance, enroll children into school, etc.

    In order to even apply for a work permit you need a job offer from a Canadian company which has permission from CIC to hire foreign workers. This is only given in professions where there is a shortage of workers in Canada -- either extremely skilled professions (doctors, engineers, nurses, specialized trades, etc.) or highly temporary jobs (seasonal farm workers, ski resorts, some hotels, etc.)

    In order to apply for permanent residency, you need either immediatel relatives to sponsor you, a highly skilled job offer (as above, plus compete on a point-based system for one of 10,000 positions), recently graduated from a Canadian university in certain degrees and found work in Canada, a sponsorship by one of the provinces (usually a famous athlete, world-class performing artist, etc.), or a valid refugee claim. The process can take three or more years.

    In both cases, you need background checks, medical exams, and proof of finances (at least six months living expenses).

    1. You can't work in Canada without proof of citizenship, permanent residency, or a work permit. You need one of these in order to apply for a social insurance number and to file income taxes.

    2. In order to apply for permanent residency you need to meet the requirements. The process takes many years. You may not stay in Canada (or work there) for more than 180 until then.

    3. You need proof of legal residency in order to obtain a license in Canada. You may not insure a vehicle without a Canadian driver's license. You may not register a foreign vehicle. You would have to import the vehicle into Canada (paying customers brokers, duties, environmental fees, title checks, conversation of instruments to metric, installing of DRLs, etc.) -- a rather long and expensive process. Usually easier to sell your car and buy another one in Canada -- you'd still need a license to insure/register it. In most provinces, tourists are free to drive out-of-province vehicles for up to 90 or 180 days provided that it has valid insurance coverage for Canada.

    4. You may bring cats and dogs into the country provided you have proof of shots and a recent letter from your vet.

  • ?
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    Discovering a instructing job might be hard, there are plenty of unemployed teachers in Canada who are having to go overseas to work. I dont recognize where you noticed that Canada desires teachers. Your bother doesnt get automatically accepted into Canada just on the grounds that he marries a Canadian, he still has to move via the appliance procedure and cannot sponsor anyone until he has reputation in Canada. He wont be equipped to work correct away, now not until he has status. One more poster gave you all of the links. It is feasible you could possibly be viewed a dependent baby if you're disabled, no matter what your age, however you cannot acquire any type of social help in Canada.

  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

    You can't just waltz on in. You will have to go through the immigration process which involves being sponsored by work or an individual. Where you work for a US company, there is little chance.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.