Anonymous

Graduated college, now homeless, now what?

I went to college, got a degree that stated I could do a multitude of jobs with, and now, I'm homeless.

Luckily I have friends taking me in.

However, in the mean time, I'm opening up my local papers to find jobs, going to career centers, etc.

Career centers are just telling me what I already know. They basically provide computers and the help wanted adds, which is like the same thing as the library to me.

I open up the papers, and only find articles about how even Military members coming out can't even find jobs. And I was thinking about joining the military too, but they're downsizing and even they complain about the economy.

There may be like 4-10 jobs total in each paper, and most are just adds that keep running (phishing), and most require experience or are in areas I'm not qualified for (Healthcare)

I was in the process of starting my own business as I know many trades, but the place I was staying wasn't good, so I no longer have a garage to use and had to sell all my tools until I can get my situation figured out.

I'm a very hard worker and people always say I"m smart, even like a mad scientist kind of smart.

The thing is, I was always focused on doing good rather than the money, so now I'm getting an eye opener and realizing I need money to do good! Otherwise I will start failing because if I can't take care of myself, then how can I take care of anything or anyone else?

What should I do now?

I mean, I'm going to not give up and keep praying, but sometimes I just want something to happen ASAP!

I have a list of potential outlets and decisions, like:

-Look into substitute teaching and landscape/garden business on the side.

-Monk

-Military *Questionable though....since they can't even seem to find jobs when they get out, but seems like a good career choice)

-Full Time gardening, nursery, horticulture work

-Freemason/Knights of Columbus networking

What do you rich professionals suggest?

Favorite Answer

This may not be exactly what you want to hear about now..but I do, honestly believe that it's true:

When one door closes..a window opens.

You mentioned wanting to "do good" and your multifaceted skills and know-how re: landscaping and other maintenance-related fields. You didn't mention your location, nor what your degree was in. (reading between the lines) Tells me that you are not 'married to' your particular location and/or continuing on with a career that revolves around whatever your degree is in.

If you had said:

'..I've just earned my MBA and really have a burning desire to be a Wall-Street-esque, high-finance-type..and I simply can not (and will not) extract myself from Manhattan..but I'm having a tough time finding a position that meets my prerequisites'..kind of thing.

But you didn't. So..you are (presumably) OPEN to change, growth, evolving, learning

= broadening your scope..yes?

How about this:

I don't know if you have the desire to assist animals, but I do know that various large wild animal sanctuaries and reserves supply free room and board for their volunteers and staff..which are located around the globe. Finding the 'right fit' would be essential for your sake, as well as the animals in question (marine-life, big cats, reptiles, primates, etc.) but it's a place to start that would get you off of your friends couches, and get the ball rolling. All reserves and sanctuaries place emphasis on conservation, public awareness, and ensuring the rehabilitation and comfort of the wild animals they house.

This means whether one is particularly trained/educated/skilled at public relations, animal care, habitat creation, managing a team of keepers, financial matters, arranging public events for private and/or government assistance, grants, etc., a bright, energetic-type will be able to find their niche.

There's a whole world of professions and career opportunities within the foundations and non-profit organizations for your talents. One with landscaping talents is a necessity for large reserves (to start) and once you've realised you have a home there..the sky is the limit with where (and how far) one wants to progress.

Even if you start as an 'entry level' volunteer..one with a degree, drive, ambition and a sharp mind would be infinitely beneficial for all involved. Contacting the head-hunters that place individuals into a large sanctuary may prove to be a win-win.

Below are a few links for you to examine and may lead you where you need to go. How about working with rescued tigers and lions at Shambala in California..? One of the awesome primate reserves (Primarily Primates, etc)..? One of the wonderful rescues in Africa..? Marine-life sanctuaries (located all around the globe)..? Best Friends link has current positions available for trainers, landscapers, funding office, in lovely Utah reserve..? Working with the exceptionally dedicated teams at the giant Panda sanctuaries..?

>Wild Animal Sanctuary.org/career & volunteer opportunities:

http://www.wildanimalsanctuary.org/waystohelp/volu...

>Best Friends/Animal Assistance Careers:

http://www.bestfriends.org/aboutus/employment/curr...

http://volunteer.bestfriends.org/

>Peaceable Primates Career/Volunteer Opportunities:

http://www.volunteermatch.org/search/org30326.jsp

>Big Cat Rescues/Rehabilitation Reserve Careers/Volunteer Opportunities:

http://www.simplyhired.com/a/jobs/list/q-big+cat+r...

>Intern with Big Cat Rescue:

http://bigcatrescue.org/get-involved/volunteer/int...

----------

also;

Teachers are desperately needed in various communities in Africa. Any/all of the opportunities would include travelling abroad, assisting children (teaching), helping the communities to advance and prosper..and your own learning opportunities would be substantial.

>

Teach English abroad:

http://www.globaltesol.com/teach/english/Africa

>

Teach Children/Adults in South Africa Career & Volunteer opportunities:

http://www.worldteach.org/site/c.buLRIbNOIbJ2G/b.6...

There are children and adults located all around the globe who would consider you to be 'privileged' comparatively speaking. Teaching in an underdeveloped community in Africa would be the perfect way to "do" for others, and, in turn, do for yourself.

• Trudy

AS many college graduates are discovering, you are not special and just holding a degree may not be enough as there are millions of others with that same degree or better and that number grows every year. There are many jobs out there, but unfortunately most college grads consider them 'beneath' them. If you can start your own business, find some niche that needs to be filled and go about filling it. The Military is still taking people and with a degree you can try OCS and see if and when you can get in. Or just enlist and if you spend 4 years in the service, at least you will have some experience and discipline under your belt that is highly regarded by employers and maybe the economy may be better by then. Or you may find you like military life and decide to stay. Freemasonry is not for business networking and neither is the KofC for that matter. if that is what you are looking for please look into Rotary, Lions or Kiwanis clubs. That is their purpose.

I'm hardly a rich professional, but when I moved to a new area and needed a job, I picked a mall I could get to on public transportation, took a collection of resumes, and walked into every single store to ask whether they would be willing to let me fill out an application. (I didn't ask "Are you hiring?" because even if they weren't hiring that day, someone might quit the next, and if they had an application on file from me, they'd have a chance.") Two places gave me interviews and both offered me jobs. (This was at a time when it was easier to get a job, though.) It was not much money and retail is not where my natural talents lie, but I worked as hard as I could and studied the things other people were doing that resulted in sales, and gradually I began to get more hours, and eventually was promoted to management.

Prior to that I started at another hourly minimum-wage job and also worked my way up to a full-time job making decent money plus a part-time job at another company making okay money there, too.

It's easier to get a job if you have a job, and any money is preferable to none, so I would suggest that you pick areas of town that you can get to fairly easily and where there are businesses who hire hourly workers, and start going from door to door with your resume, filling out applications whenever possible.

In a few months, retail outlets are going to start hiring seasonal workers. There won't be as many slots as there were at many points in the past, and there's a very good chance you'll be laid off shortly after Christmas, but it's a chance to put something on your resume and on occasion someone from the regular staff leaves over Christmas and there's an opening for the best seasonal worker, so if you don't have anything I would go through any malls you can get to in September and again in October. You can also try places like UPS, which of course also has a busy season then.

Dress in "business casual": nothing that looks like you're shooting for something a lot better than hourly work but nothing that looks unprofessional, either.

Good luck.

• meat

Did you try to join the military, or did you just 'read the papers' about it? There are PLENTY of military positions in the Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard. Some are great jobs, most are great careers.

Did you think about seminary school?

Did you bother to do any research?

Freemasonry isn't about 'networking' if you're thinking of joining just to network, you're in for a rude awakening.

Source(s): I'm a Freemason.

Maytag makes very sturdy boxes.

I like the monk idea.