Did the government really invent the internet like Obama and others have claimed to justify federal funding?

using our tax dollars for everything from soup to nuts? Government did not create the internet so why do they claim they did? It was the private sector. Xerox wanted to use it to connect computers to copy machines. Short sighted. Apple invented the rest.

"If the government didn't invent the Internet, who did? Vinton Cerf developed the TCP/IP protocol, the Internet's backbone, and Tim Berners-Lee gets credit for hyperlinks.

But full credit goes to the company where Mr. Taylor worked after leaving ARPA: Xerox. It was at the Xerox PARC labs in Silicon Valley in the 1970s that the Ethernet was developed to link different computer networks. Researchers there also developed the first personal computer (the Xerox Alto) and the graphical user interface that still drives computer usage today."

It looks like they didn't. So why does the government take the credit for it when it was Xerox?

http://professional.wsj.com/article/SB100008723963...

Update:

There was a computer where I worked in 1965. It was not connected to a network and was so large it took an entire glassed in room full of hundreds, if not thousands of wires. This was not the same thing as networks or the internet by a long shot. It produced punch cards and from the punch cards a printed report could be made.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, government researchers did invent the internet, according to researchers who were actually involved in creating it. According to an article written by internet developers, and posted at the Internet Society, a researcher (Licklider) working at DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, a Defense Department agency) came up with the idea for what is now the internet and was responsible for promoting the idea. Another researcher (Roberts) at DARPA, in conjunction with other DARPA-funded researchers, developed the earliest version of the internet - ARPAnet, first publicly demonstrated in 1972. It's hard to get more "government" than the defense department.

To expand this initial technology, DARPA contracted with some university researchers to develop the TCP/IP protocols that made the current internet possible. Later, the National Science Foundation also provided funding.

The concept of the internet was huge, risky, and required extensive research to get to the point of initial success - not something even large companies would leap into on their own.

Of course, it's the nature of science and technology that new discoveries and technologies feed on each other -- government research got the ball rolling and many private companies ran with it and improved it. Contributions from researchers at both public and private institutions helped make the internet we now know. But it took government to get things off the ground. That is typical of many new technologies, such as GPS and even computers themselves.

One posted answer is incorrect in stating that ethernet connects computer networks. It connects individual computers into a local network, but does not interconnect whole networks with each other. It is also incorrect that Apple "invented the rest". Apple is not even mentioned in the Internet Society's article, probably because it was not established until 1976 - AFTER the first internet was developed.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Frankly, i'm worn out of this whole 'Obama lied" obstacle. Getting outraged seeing that Obama lied is like getting irritated at any time when the mobile rings, as should you by no means heard it ring earlier than. Ok, I was once disturbed the first three or four occasions. But by way of now, it is pointless. Now, it's like, oh look, there goes lie #306. There goes lie #307. There goes #308 AND #309 in the equal sentence... Counting Obama's lies is like counting boxcars on a particularly really lengthy freight teach. After a precise point, you simply lose depend due to the fact that all of them seem the same after a while. It is like counting all of the females bill Clinton had affairs with. Just one after a further after one other after.... What's the point? We now have founded that Obama is a pathological liar. That's adequate for me. I do not have got to have an outburst over every single lie for the subsequent three years and four months. Oh, and here come the ordinary liberal excuses. It used to be simply 2% of their total funding. It was once just $eight million dollars. It was only a **. It was only a cloth wardrobe malfunction. It was only a auto accident, it is not his fault she drowned. It was once just (insert admission of guilt here). Recover from it! So if it was a religion established organization, would it not be just $8 million? However ooooh, did you hear about that toe tappin' within the guys's room...?

• 8 years ago

The internet started out from a defense contract.

And so were telecommunications satellite networks were born from government spending.

The first computers were developed by governments to encode and decode top secret communications.

Almost all the initial prototypes of modern technology are the result of government defense contracts or academic grants.

Private investors do not spend as much on R&D as the public does, and when they do they rarely go it alone and instead team up with public capital.

The private sector is best at expansion of production, and distribution to markets.

Not investment in theory to bring about engineering reality.

This has always been true.

Dig a little deeper and you will find that the first civilian interconnected computer network was the result of an academic grant.

CERN exists almost exclusively as the result of multinational government funding.

The internal combustion engine came from a government grant also.

Like I said, almost every major electronic or mechanical technological device started in a lab, with grants or defense contracts.

• it seems that the idea that the internet is based on predates the information you discuss...

but the internet as we know it may have been invented by those you say...

"Research into packet switching started in the early 1960s and packet switched networks such as ARPANET, Mark I at NPL in the UK,[6] CYCLADES,[7][8] Merit Network,[9] Tymnet, and Telenet, were developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s using a variety of protocols. The ARPANET in particular led to the development of protocols for internetworking, where multiple separate networks could be joined together into a network of networks."

in other words... the gov. did a lot of the heavy lifting early on, but Xerox may have done something much closer to what we now know as the internet...

so in a way, both are true...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Frankly I couldn't get past your first paragraph because you are mistaken.

DARPA

http://www.darpa.mil/

and some scientists from MIT

http://web.mit.edu/

invented the interweb because they wanted to be able to email each other.

So in reality, government really DID create the internet.

But they didn't do it for commercial purposes. Just a bunch of geeks having fun and your tax dollars at work.

And what, IBM didn't have their hand in the works somehow?

It naturally evolved. Mostly (dang, now I have to hit myself for being a commie!) due to government and military funding, and research grants from Uncle Sugar.

Dang, now I can't complain about paying my income taxes any more. Thank you very much! ;)

• The entire electronics, computer, and aircraft industry and the air-conditioned South is due almost entirely to DOD and NASA contracts. Thank you, US taxpayers!

• 8 years ago

Saying "I took the initiative in creating the internet" is not the same as "I created the internet" - We'll admit Palin didn't say she could see Russia from her house if you'll admit that.

Gore signed off on large amounts of funding for creation of the internet - his statement was correct, if misconstrued by late night comedians.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

There is a big difference between gov't financing and gov't producing. The gov't finances the production of F-16, but they do not make them, if they did I would be very worried about our nat'l security. Furthermore, its not like they organized a bunch of bureaucrats to sit in a room and then they invented the internet, liberals love to lie because they are twats and have no grasp of history

• daddio
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

we wouldn't have any damn roads if Ford didn't mass produce cars...or telephone lines w/o Bell, or electrical lines without Edison...the audacity it takes to say such bs....

at every turn, government has complicated these things.

but the sheep that vote for the collectivist president do not care for knowledge, ambition, innovation or enginuity. he can continue to give them misinformation, leave out real world facts, and spin them the fairy tale he knows they want to hear without impunity, as most media outlets are in the tank for him.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.