Hi fellow seniors, have you ever ridden a horse?

The only animal I have ever ridden was a donkey on a beach when I was about six years old so yes that was eons ago.

I was interested however in this article in my online newspaper depicting Megan a 63 year old lady who rode from Beijing to London.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/pictureg...

8,000 miles and four years later she is now on the home stretch. I found this a fascinating read and marvelled at her strength and fortitude in overcoming all sorts of fears and obstacles on route.

I wonder what you think?

Best Answer

I enjoyed that! Thanks for posting. I think she's great. The pictures were wonderful. I'm going to find the main web site and have friends who are 'horsey' who will love it.

I was lucky enough to have a dad who loved animals. A german shepherd puppy came one Christmas in spite of moms complaints.

He bought my brother and I both horses.. My little POA mare and I went many many miles. I'd take off with my lunch on any day I didn't have school and be gone all day. Her name was Red Cloud and that's one of the best memories of my life.

We came down a dirt road in a hurry once, and I didn't notice until it was too late, a big pile of barbed wire which we ended up in the middle of. Funny I don't remember ever hearing about who put it there or why.

I was barefoot, riding bareback and in shorts, I slid off her, and carefully got each of her feet untangled and got us out. I got scratched up some. She was so still and trusted me or we both could have been hurt. At the time I didn't think anything of it. But looking back I knew how extraordinary it was that she didn't panic and stood still for me. Thank you daddy and thank you Red Cloud.

• hb12

Well, I have tried to ride a horse several times. They usually ended up riding me. Besides it's very uncomfortable, especially the getting dumped on the ground part. I can't even imagine how they rode them in the old west. You can't even think with all the brain jogging. No, thinks, I'll ride in the wagon, that's bad enough. And riding 8 thousand miles in a train, plane or automobile would try my patience. Truck drivers get kidney problems from just being jostled in a truck.

P. S. Unless you like too many answers and are retired, you might not want to post in seniors. Ha.

Moral of the story: one husband is more trouble than seven horses.

I love horses but have never ridden one for no other reason than I haven't had the opportunity.As a child in the 50's I rode a donkey on a beach in Devon & still have the black & white photo as proof.

Since then I have ridden camels twice but as zoo rides only,not comfortable at all.

Well done,Megan.

Yes. I began riding horses when I was ten.

Recently, I was on a horse for the first time in more than twenty years. Back then it was an all-day charity ride that I loved and did for several years. When jobs changed, I could not do it, and missed it.

This year it was a one-hour trail ride, as the friend who was with me had never been on a horse before. We plan on more riding this summer, and longer rides as she gains experience.

She is also learning to ride a motorcycle, and hopes to get her licence this year.

• Power

Yes, when I was about middle school age my best friend had a horse and I ended up buying a pony for $40. I learned it was a lot of work to take care of one. We had to have a ride to the horse farm and my friends father took us but wanted my father to take us and my father wasn't going to do it.

So things did work out long for me doing that and I sold my pony.

When I met my husband he worked around race horses but I have never asked him if he ever rode a horse so I will do that today. It's funny, the things you don't know about your closest family members.

I think it is great about Megan & I wish I could ride one now but I would be afraid of being injured. Not having health insurance has made me a couch potato.

• Dinah

I say incredible, Lily, especially having broken ribs and punctured a lung, with a smile regardless.

When I was ten, my fourteen-year-old sister stood me on a stump to reach the stirrup to mount Cheyenne. We rode double many times. Learned by watching her curry, brush and comb, clean hooves, saddle, bridle and put on the Martingale, hold the reins with one hand and learn not to hold the horn. Loved every minute of it until later one day, renting a horse that started chasing a milk truck along a narrow cliff all the way back to the barn. And once was thrown by a dead stop in snow. But did continue renting and walking trails through my twenties. Learned the gaits, learned to post, etc. Still love the fragrance of a tack room's leather.

• RB

Hi Lily,

I have not ridden a horse. I have ridden a Burrow and an Elephant.

A year ago a family was making their way partly across the US with a horse and buggy.

The story was they packed all of their belongings and were heading to a relatives place.

I will check out the article.

The article was interesting, but it wouldn't be for me. I have a home and car for a reason. I enjoy comfort!

Thanks for sharing.

One time, the horse had no saddle on him, had to ride bare back. We were going at a nice pace, slow, when my friend told me to kick him so that l would go faster l did, my mistake, now the horse is trotting and l am bouncing around ot top of him. Then l my body started going further apart of the horse until l finally rolled over his shoulder. As luck would have it l held on the the rains that kept the horse rome running over me. That is my first and last experience with a horse.

When I was 2 and 1/2, our parents let us ride the ponies which walked in a circle attached to a large wheel. Just the saddle horn to hold on. I saw the reins hanging down from the horses mouth and bent forward to grab them, the pony lowered his head and off I went, tight over his head. Broke my arm.

I got a couple of chances to ride as a teenager and a couple of times as an adult amputee. I just didn't care for the butt bumping!

I have ridden horses on rare occasions but I'm no horse rider. When I was a kid a friend kept horses and I sometimes got the chance to ride one. My sister, on the other hand, was quite an accomplished rider as a kid and rode in a few gymkhanas.