i hear americans clap after movies is this true?

i have also herd that americans clap at other inappropriate times like if food is brought to their table in a restaurant and after paying for groceries. do they really do this and what is the reasoning behind it?

• Mark
    Favorite Answer

Finally, a steretype that's true - SOME Americans clap at the end of SOME films the first time they are shown. But I've never heard of the second two. Clapping at a restaurant would mean someone is expressing EXTREME irony (probably they ordered something 90 minutes ago and it finally has shown up - sort of like saying "thank you" to a cop who has just given you a ticket.)

• .Asky

LOL, I have seen it happen before. Usually the clapping at the movies is usually only in PACKED theatres when the movie was really exciting or wild. People wouldn't clap after say, The English Patient or some love-drama or something. But it doesn't always happen anyway. I just saw a movie a couple weeks ago and people laughed and cheered throughout the movie but nobody clapped at the end. And I have never seen someone clap at a restaurant or when paying for groceries, that'd be kinda weird.

The only times I've ever seen people clap at things like this is usually at the end of a movie to premiere. I think it is to show appreciation for the movie even though no one can really see it. Sometimes one or two may clap a couple times while laughing during the movie kind of like an impulse but otherwise I've never seen anyone clap their hand after paying for groceries or at their table in a restraunt.

If the movie is real good, then yes, some will clap afterwards.

Never heard of any clapping after food is brought in to the table or

after paying grocery bills.

Source(s): American Male

I've never seen or heard anyone clap at these times. I mean sometimes people clap after a movie, if its good, I guess....

Source(s): I'm an american

NO!! In movies, they only clap the movie was a GREAT GREAT movie. like one of those hilarious teen movies. or... Iron man. Teens like 13-15 clap at the randomest places to make people confused but that's only cuz their kids.

Sometimes we clap after movies. I don't know why. It's not like its live theater. However, we don't clap for those other things.

• Breyah

Haha yes if it has a cute happy ending people will clap....I'll just sit there o.o but all of the others you mentioned are just absurd -___-

sometimes americans clap after movies, but i dont think after those other things O.o...

I have had that happened throughout a film. Men and women do that when they suppose that film was good. When it happened during the film it used to be when their favourite character got here on reveal.