Sam
Sam asked in SportsBaseball · 8 years ago

Thoughts on why the Yankees traded for Ichiro?

I have no doubt its directly related to the Gardner announcement that he's done for the year. Jeter is the only non power hitter they have the utilizes the whole field, and Gardner is a guy that gives them great defense, speed, and a singles hitter. Ichiro will fit perfectly in that role without Gardner, even at age 38 he can still contribute alot to NY imo. He's also a 10 time gold glove winner, which fits perfectly with the type of players the Yankees sign.

Justinbi ... you are a complete moron. The Yankees just won the title in 2009, you have no idea what you are even talking about.

Favorite Answer

You nailed it on the head. Not to mention if they decide to keep Ichiro for a few years, from a marketing perspective, him and A-Rod chasing 3,000 hits can make some extra bank and exposure (not that they don't get enough as it is).

I think Ichiro could eventually go inot the two hole behind Jeter, both those guys excel in the hit and run; Jeter on the base paths and Ichiro makes good contact even with the slower bat. That could help come playoff time not to mention makes the Cano, Tex, Grandy 3-4-5 very dangerous for righties, especially at the Stadium and allows A-Rod to move down to six. Unless ichiro starts batting 9th, he's wasted at the bottom of the lineup. If he remains in the 8th spot, it defeats having him when Martin is a potential double play waiting to happen and doesn't bunt well nor is he good with contact or going the other way so he wouldn't do well with the hit and run. So unless ichiro is on board with batting 9th, he'll have to go to the two hole. Jeter's the better on base guy and Ichiro makes contact and is a good bunter.

^Pretty Much My Answer...

• ferree

Ichiro's production has fallen off markedly throughout the last 2 seasons. The Yankees are buying a function participant, someone to platoon in LF with Andruuw Jones contained in the face of a few injuries. they don't look to be finding out on up the ten-time all-celeb version of Ichiro. The Mariners are finding out on up some AAA pitching opportunities. That looks reasonable for a MLB participant who's contained in the league-established variety. The Mariners are also not from now on confronted with what to do about Ichiro on the right of the season. i'm a Mariners fan and that i fantastically like this very last area. i imagine that is a good commerce for both aspect.

Hey 7 years ago the Yankees had a lot of interest in bringing in Ichiro. The Mariners had to Yankee pay to keep him. Who said Singles hitters don't drive Benz. I was as shocked as most wasn't aware Gardner was done, but was Gardner really an answer. It stikes me a bit weird isn't usually the Mets, O's or Giants that normally sign broken down glue factory race horses.

A's a yankee fan i do like the signing though. Though I am in China so doesn't help me with viewing. Jete may be a sparky to Ichiro i am shocked how fast he deteriated at 38 while Jete just keeps on keeping on. It eith a 2 month rental for chump minor leaguers or a sweat move to move dead outfield wood and try semi- dead wood in 2013. I guess Grandie better turbo charge for 2013.

• Matt T

I guess Ichiro wants to win a World Series.

The Seattle Mariners are far away from winning one.

I think the Yankees have been there and with Ichiro, they do have a good shot at winning the World Series!

Source(s): MLB Fan since 1999.

I don't like it. As a life long Yankees fan, when we win, it's because not only do we have good players, but gritty hungry players. Ichiro's best yrs were wasted in Seattle, and now he'll just be another guy who's bat will go to sleep come October! Past few yrs., the Yanks have been built just to win in the regular season ( to keep the money coming in) but have'nt had the success that their superstars or payroll say they should have.

PS- i'm still mad the Yankee mainstays for letting Boston comeback on them after being up 3-0 a few yrs ago! Just had to get that out!!! : )

After I saw Ichiro in a Yankees uniform, I felt like vomiting. I used to like Ichiro. In fact, earlier today I was just looking at my Ichiro poster. Now, I'll look at it some more, it's just that this time I'll be throwing a baseball at it.

• Red™

You answered your own question. They missed Gardner's speed, glove and arm and Ichiro filled the void!

• John

You answered it. Ichiro wants a championship, the Yankees have a chance at it.

That was a complete and utter shock. I never expected Ichiro to leave Seattle.