Thoughts on why the Yankees traded for Ichiro?

I have no doubt its directly related to the Gardner announcement that he's done for the year. Jeter is the only non power hitter they have the utilizes the whole field, and Gardner is a guy that gives them great defense, speed, and a singles hitter. Ichiro will fit perfectly in that role without Gardner, even... show more I have no doubt its directly related to the Gardner announcement that he's done for the year. Jeter is the only non power hitter they have the utilizes the whole field, and Gardner is a guy that gives them great defense, speed, and a singles hitter. Ichiro will fit perfectly in that role without Gardner, even at age 38 he can still contribute alot to NY imo. He's also a 10 time gold glove winner, which fits perfectly with the type of players the Yankees sign.
Update: Justinbi ... you are a complete moron. The Yankees just won the title in 2009, you have no idea what you are even talking about.