How many DC volts are in a 12VDC power supply?

I have noticed some voltage ratings for 12VDC power sources/supplies that seem to frequently pop up. I keep seeing the following voltages:

12.2 VDC

13.8 VDC

14.4 VDC

What, if anything, is significant about these numbers?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

It should be 12.6V . It is the standard total voltage of six lead acid cells battery pack.

13.8V is the peak voltage while car battery is fully charged. It only shows this peak voltage within one hour after it was fully charged.

It should be 15V. The regulated charging voltage produces out from the car generator.

• 3 years ago

Do you see the display indicating 12 volts? If you have a voltmeter, measure the output. Are you making use of the right output terminals, red for + and Black for -? If you wouldn't have a voltmeter, but you have got an LED, connect it with a resistor in series on the range from 300 to 500 Ohms. You can also have to reverse the polarity of the LED, it will be ON best in one direction. If all this fails, post the results. The equipment you're connecting could take a better present than your deliver is ready of. Be sure that the present limiting adjustment is just not set too low. If so, you are going to see the voltage to drop as quickly as you connect the equipment.

• oldman
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

All of these values can be used as a 12DC power supply

these reading that you see are the unloaded DC power supply readings.

when a power supply is connedted to a load, the internal resistance of the power supply

drops sum voltage.

• i think a car battery is 13.8 VDC, sorry i can't be any more help then that

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.