What do atheists do in the airplane analogy?

So you're in a plane, and these people are telling you it's going down, and they are offering you a parachute. Only, they all say that their parachutes are the only ones that work. No one will let you open the parachute to inspect it, you just have to take on faith that their parachute is the correct one.

For the sake of the discussion, I'll concede that the plane is actually going down.

So the Christians are handing out Christian parachutes, the Muslims are handing out Islam parachutes, and so on.

I think atheists would be the MacGyver in the corner of the plane attempting to make wings out of seat cushions, or fixing the plane with a paper clip. As crazy as these things are, it sounds less crazy than accepting any of the parachutes.

What do y'all think?

• Jackie
    Best Answer

Knowing that all airplanes (and parachute makers) must adhere to national or international safety standards, I understand there aren't parachutes for specific religions. People can say whatever they want about the parachutes, but they all have an equal chance of working regardless of my religious beliefs. I'd take any of the parachutes and use it.

Fun fact: Even if a plane crashes there is roughly a 96% survival rate, the fatalities often caused by people NOT listening to what the staff tells you to do.

But assuming they HAD to jump, I would assume they would get to the nearest parachutes and jump. What is better, chance of living with a parachute, or no chance at all and dying? I doubt the faith of the chutes would influence the decision.

• Demi

Geez, Adan. I was always told atheists could fly. That's what the big ol' demon wings are for and the forked tail is kind of like a rudder. ;-p

Just pull a "Heathen" on 'em. Grab one of each. The Christians and the Muslims all think they're going to paradise so they shouldn't be too terribly upset about dying a jarring, fiery death. We're a bit more pragmatic about things, so I'd put one on my back, one on my front, and whichever one didn't work, I got a backup. I will live and make lots and lots more money when I write a book about which one of those faiths is better than the other because they're the dudes with functioning parachutes. (Bet I could get the "winners" to pay me to speak at their churches/mosques, too!)

Source(s): Forn Sed Heathen
  • Caesar

There are reported to be approximately 38,000 Christian denominations, number of Islamic sects, now over 150...yes Muhammad predicted that his followers would become divided into seventy-three sects but nobody is perfect the Jews will maybe don't get in a plane loaded with his lovely brothers in faith.......thats a lot of parachute for the sake of discussion if all of you get out of the plane i can really get good ods of crash landing the plane ...no deity need it for that.... just aerodynamics

The atheists wud grab the parachutes off the xtians and the muslims saying....

You don't need 'em, you believe in the after-life...

I'd glance out the window to see whose parachutes are actually opening...

• Kevin

you know, most people actually survive the initial plane crash. They die because the crash usually breaks their legs so that they can't get out due to the pain so they die of smoke inhalation or in a fiery blast when/if the engines explode.

The atheist will think "******* lunatics..." while saying "I'M A CHRISTIAN/MUSLIM/whatever GIMME A PARACHUTE!"

The atheists are the ones who bother to check the cockpit.

Woot! Free points!