ME asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 7 years ago

How do I keep my neighbors' cats off my catnip plant?

I am trying to grow catnip for my cats but the neighbor cats keep eating it and digging it up. I can't move it inside or my cats will just do the same thing. Anyone have any REAL advice?

• OLLIE
    Favorite Answer

as you are in the states, you all got sixguns, that should be enough. just show them it and say, go on make my day

I used to visit a park that had catnip growing wild. On a nice summer day, there were slightly crazed looking cats everywhere, after the catnip. They didn't look like feral cats, and there were no houses closer than 1000 feet away. A fenced box, as the first poster suggested, is the only thing guaranteed to work. If you just put a fence around it, they'll only jump over unless it's at least six feet tall. It had also better be anchored to the ground, or they'll tip it over and get under it. A sort of wire cage with mesh small enough that they can't get their heads through, small enough to protect the main part of the plant but large enough so a few stalks can poke through, will work fine.

• Judith

Not in my garden! Actually if you want to get rid of the cats, you need either citrus oil (soaked in tea bags and place around the garden but once it rains you will have to re do it) or a product called Silent Roar. It is stones that are soaked in lion urine. The cats smell it and think that there's a bigger cat about and will therefore frighten them away. You do have to be careful with this product though, if they can smell human on the stones they realise that it's a trick and will therefore not stay away. This does work. My garden is a haven for cats and since using this product they don't come into the garden until I have to replace it. The only other thing is the length of your grass. If it's long, this will attract the cats as well so keep your grass short. KD

I have 2 darling girls that are strictly indoor cats. I planted a couple of pots of catnip for them and had the same problem you are having with the neighborhood cats. My husband welded a cage of expanded mesh (don't know if that is the correct name of it). The cage fits over the pots of catnip and is secured to the ground with landscape cloth pins. It is easy for me to water and to pick up and harvest leaves for my babies but keeps the other cats out. Those crazy cats perch on top of the cage and try to reach the foliage.

This is your cat on drugs.

LOL

• Me Too

Cat's don't like capsaicin. Get some pepper spray and dilute it then spray on the catnip. Do not use typical hot sauce instead as the vinegar and salt can harm the plant.

Mix some potassium cyanide with some whole milk in a saucer. Leave this next to the plant. Go ahead and dig a couple discreet cat graves in your back yard.

Source(s): No other conceivable way to solve this problem.

Expanding on the other answers, maybe you could use the netting orchardists use to keep birds off of ripening fruit? Easy to support w/ a few sticks and will allow sun and water through.

Hang orange or lemon peels. cats hate citrus scent

• J7269

Put it inside a fenced box?

Three choices:

1. Accept that when you offer free addictive substances, all the addicts are coming to visit.

2. Sit outside, day and night, next to that plant with a hose to determine which addicts get dibs on it.

3. Pull it up and throw it away.

It's not the advice you wanted, but it is a REAL as it gets. ;)

Put it in a hanging container out of their reach.