Wisconsin foliage for 20-somethings?

My fiance and I live in the Chicago area and we are looking for a good fall honeymoon spot that is a drivable distance. Is there any place in Wisconsin (or anyplace else within a few hours drive) where we can hike and do light outdoor stuff during the day, but isn't completely dead/full of old folks at night and preferable is also reasonably priced?

Thanks!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

My wife and I are originally from WI, live in Chicagoland and take a foliage trip every fall. We generally do WI or MI.

The first thing to consider is your timing. Door County generally peaks around the second week of October and can be fantastic if the year is right. Further North, Eagle River, Minocqua are a week or 2 earlier. Get into the Northern UP and the last weekend in September is best. This year may be different because of the widespread drought although areas North of Wausau have not been affected as much as South of there.

There are some festivals all around the state that time of year. Check out TravelWisconsin.com

If you don't want to drive that far, consider LaCrosse, WI, Spring Green, WI, Dubuque, IA and other areas along the Mississippi River....active nightlife may be a challenge.

Have fun and congrats!

• 7 years ago

Door County north of Sturgeon Bay is a favorite vacation spot for people of all ages.

It is rustic, has no chain restaurants nor chain hotels. Some of the towns are reminiscent of New England, and there are plenty of art galleries, curio shops, wineries, and other specialty businesses. Several state parks offer scenic hiking and biking opportunities, and there are lots of nature preserves, too.

During the summer there is a pretty good night life (theater, music festivals, general entertainment, fish boils,etc.). As you move towards the fall, there is less to do at night.

Source(s): Been there several times.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.