1.68 weighted GPA. Help applying for college?

Well yea I know with my GPA I most likely won't be going to a four year college, and I feel that I let my family down cause I slacked. But I need help, these past couple of days my family has been pressuring me about this college stuff. I don't know where to apply or if I have any chances, I'd like to get my GPA higher if that's possible, I'm entering my senior year in high school. My SAT score was 1220 I know that's not good but it was my first time taking it. So can anyone help me with this process? Are there any websites that could help me?

• eri
    Favorite Answer

Why are you going to college? It's not for everyone, and your GPA is failing by any college's standards. If you haven't improved it by now, you'll probably just fail out of college and have wasted your time and money. Your only choice is community college (and every college asks for unweighted GPA, so it's not even 1.8), and the SAT doesn't matter for them, so don't bother taking it again.

I believe you can retake your SAT's if you want to, so you could do that to raise your SAT score. Trying to pick up your grades in senior year is sure cutting it close with trying to get into college because some colleges look at Grade 11 marks as well. But this year, you'll just have to work REALLY hard to get those marks up. If the reason your GPA is so low is because you slacked off, then putting in the effort should somewhat help your grades. And you don't have to go to college right in the fall after you graduate (so you don't have to worry too much about those December-March college application deadlines unless you're determined to start college in the fall of 2013).

You can also take community college to help upgrade your marks, or hire a tutor or do summer school. Since you're only just entering Grade 12, you can still make changes to your grades so that you could potentially apply to any college you want.

• MrsN

There is no easy way out of this one, it will take hard work and persistence. Focus this year on getting the best grades you can, to bring your GPA up. If you are interested in any colleges, start by checking their admissions requirements online. If you need to bring up your SAT scores, there are lots of SAT preparation guides to choose from. Check your local library, bookstore, or Amazon.com to find one you think will work for you. Larger cities and schools usually also have classes that you can take to help you prepare for college admissions and taking the SAT or ACT. Your school counselor will be able to give you advice as well, so set up an appointment with him/her in the first couple weeks of school so that he/she can help you set goals and develop an action plan and college-prep timeline for this year.