What is the difference between confidence and arrogance?

In society, we view arrogance as being bad and confidence as being good, but what's the difference?

Really, what is it? According to the dictionary, arrogance means "an offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride" and confidence means "belief in oneself and one's powers or abilities; self-confidence; self-reliance; assurance."

Now, the only difference I can see between these two definitions is the word 'offensive'... But what is offensive and what is not is more of an opinion, so I kind of disregarded that.

Both arrogance and confidence mean belief in one's self and and one's abilities. So what makes one negative and the other positive? I looked up previous answers to this question online, but they really weren't very good... The best answer suggested that someone who is arrogant is not actually good at whatever it is they're arrogant about and are just masking a low self-worth and that someone who is confident knows that they're good at whatever it is they're doing but doesn't really acknowledge that they're good at it.

Favorite Answer

Arrogance and confidence are often hard to tell apart when exhibited by an individual. I've seen situations in which a confident individual was considered to be arrogant by some of those around them. The problem may be a case of insecurity on the part of those who perceive confidence as arrogance.

I've seen similar problems with respect to what a person considers sarcasm and normal speech.

In both cases (sarcasm and arrogance), the true identity lies with the _intent_ of the person and very few of us are capable of correctly assessing subtle intent.

So, the bottom line is the intent of the individual and not much else. (That isn't to say that some people are arrogant to the extreme, but that is often not the case in mistaken intentions.)

Source(s): Been there.

Honestly a great deal of time the line is so thin that the only difference between the two is whose point of view it is- what one person sees as an offensive display of confidence, another might see as simply a strong belief in ones self.

Sometimes arrogance has come to be seen as over-confidence in areas for which one is ill-equipped.

For example, I am a microbiologist. I have confidence in my scientific knowledge and abilities. However, if I believed that my PhD somehow means I know more than other people about EVERYTHING, that pushes into arrogance. So if I said "I'm a SCIENTIST, so I know what I'm talking about when it comes to repairing cars" I'd be arrogant...and talking out my backside.

• Sara

If you actually see it in people, it's more clear which is which; written down it sounds as if there is little difference.

My mother was a famous journalist, and she had self-confidence in all things, but she also was quite a refined person, and never went about bragging about who she was.

She always told me "charm is putting other people at ease."

An arrogant person is not at all interested in putting other people at ease; in fact, the higher up on a pedestal they can place themselves, the happier they are. They're great and you're not. They're highly educated and you're stupid.

Once you've met a truly refined person, whose intelligence just shines through speech and actions, you'll know the difference between confidence and arrogance.

• judith

Confidence -- I wish to call it "cool" self belief. You might be still lovely humble, but recognize you're just right at stuff. You also consider in yourself, however you're additionally supportive of different individuals. You do not brag... Lots. It's healthy to brag each once in a while, however you are without doubt now not a braggart. Should you do not prevail first, you try again and also you under no circumstances give up. Conceited --- A person who thinks they are good at the whole thing. They think they are the satisfactory watching and the neatest w/o any actual evidence to again it up. Plenty of humans to find them overbearing and traumatic. A person who thinks distinctive men and women are above others. A man or woman who thinks they're entitled simply when you consider that of who they're. Braggart.

Confidence is when you have.

Arrogant = Air head, no experience. The next level downwards is ignorant=ignore the mistakes you've learned from, knowingly.

Conceided is a self-lying arrogant person. Like boxer Riddick Bowe loudly talkin trash and tries to act bold and tough, but never dared to fight Lennox Lewis. He knew inside he was insecure and secretly fearful. Sometime you need to fight and lose, rather then to retire forgottened with your tail between your legs. But then again that is the only way to retire from boxing and be happy people forgot about you and where your tail is to this day. Unlike Britney Spears who cannot handle losing her celebrity status and shaved her head bald and flashed herself for the world to barf.

Theyr'e basically the same thing, but after a certain point confidence becomes arrogance. Arrogance begins when you start to developer an obsession for yourself. Confidence is just feeling good about who you are.

arrogance is typically rude whereas confidence can easily be had while being polite.

Someones confidence is more associated with being right whereas arrogance often is intrinsically flawed in some way.

usually if someone is "arrogant" they are belittling others and seem to believe they are better than everyone else

confidence is believing you are capable at whatever you are doing, and confident people generally have more respect for others, as they respect themselves

One is socially acceptable.

• Donna

What the hell does this have to do with religion?

See what I did there?