shelby asked in PetsFish · 8 years ago

Ammonia in tap water?

I'm fish-in cycling my tank... I tested my water and was shocked it reached .75 ppm. I did a water change... Same. I tested my tap water & it is .75 ppm ammonia. I'm using the API master freshwater liquid test kit, I read the instructions, I'm doing the test correctly.. What can I do? I know some chemicals remove ammonia but will that affect me trying to cycle?


My tap water DOES have ammonia. I put water right from the sink into the test tube and it says .75 ammonia. I'm using water conditioner- tetra betta safe.

5 Answers

  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Um, this creeps me out a little :( ammonia in tap water?! Ugh, Im going to test mine....

    Suggestions; check the label of your water conditioner to see if it has agents to neutralize ammonia. Some do some don't. This wont "cure" the issue but may help. I know SEACHEMS PRIME is a top shelf water conditioner that has some ammonia neutralizing properties.

    Depending on the size of your tank maybe invest in gallon sized water jugs. Distilled water from the store should be pure.... If you dont want to keep buying these water jugs you could at lest fill a couple up, use SEACHEMS PRIME and let the water sit with the lid cracked or poke a small bole in the lid. Letting the water sit allows toxins like chlorines evaporate....

    Another tip, perhaps more filtration.... You could purchase a larger filter or some how increase your filter media and or use a resin that pulls out ammonia. Maybe if you use gallon jugs you could somehow filter the tap water through these resins designed to pull out ammonia..... you can find these resins at your local pet store.

    That's all I can think of to help pull ammonia out of your tap water...

    • Login to reply the answers
  • sarah
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    Every time you do a water alternate the ammonia to your tank will have to spike just a little then go back down. This is due to the fact that most water conditioners most effective dechlorinate water, and when that occurs chlorine is changed into ammonia. Every single water conditioner out there would do that, but your fish might be first-rate should you use a water conditioner that additionally has an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate binder. It will still show up in a experiment, however your fish is probably not littered with it at all so your tank can go via a mini-cycle once more however without stressing or harming your fish. Kordon's Amquel/+ and Seachem's top all do that so if you aren't already utilizing these, i would extremely advocate them.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

    I have the same problem. I didn't realize until I moved that my tap water reads 2.0 ppm ammonia when I lost 4 fish to ammonia poisoning less than 2 hours after they acclimated to my tank. I called my water company and they confirmed that they add ammonia to the water supply in my area. A friend of mine who also has fish in my area told me the only way to fix this problem is to use purified water you buy at the store or do a fishless cycle. Adding prime to your water will neutralize ammonia for 24 hours, but that could get expensive with a fish in cycle since fish are constantly producing ammonia and the cycling process can take up to a month. Good luck!

    • Login to reply the answers
  • John B
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

    If your cycling your tank you will have high ammonia. Are you adding fish food to your tank? Tap water will not contain ammonia. In your tank, it needs the ammonia in order to cycle. Do not add any ammonia neutralizing chemicals, Here is a site to help you along it's just too hard to explain.

    Source(s): experienced 50+yrs
    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ash
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

    Same problem for me. I buy a bottle of those ammonia reducers you can get cheaply and mix it in with my tap water before I put in the aquarium.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.