patricia a. asked in PetsBirds · 8 years ago

MY PARROT WONT STOP SCREECHING AND SCREAMING HELP PLEASE... !?

I have a male amazon parrot about 5-6 years old, I got him from a friend of a friend who HAD to get rid of it because of it's HORRIBLE screaming problem. Let me tell you, this isn't some ordinary parrot noise, this is a full on SCREECH that you can hear from 5 houses down my street.

in the beginning he wasn't so bad, we kept his cage next to my female amazon parrot.. then that's when his screeching habits began all over again. My mom couldn't take it and told me to put him in the garage, and i felt horrible cause he'd be lonely and it'd be hot. So i decided to put his cage into my room. He's so adorable, says good morning&goodnight.. i feel like i have a legit room mate lol.

His screeching is the biggest problem. During school I'd be stressed out trying to study then all of the sudden the loudest ear piercing screech rips your damn ear off, making you want to explode!! So I decided to spray some water on him every time he did that so he would know that it was wrong, so I could train him that way. It did not work. I've tried pulling his cage cover over his cage every time he did that, it did not work.

Now, as bad as this sounds, I've resorted to screaming back. I have so much hatred for myself for doing so, and half the time before I lose my cool I take his cage out into some other room or the garage just so I could have enough peace time to collect myself again. Then the other half.... I think you all get it.

I really don't know what it is, my mom said he wants attention, blablabla yeah but I DONT KNOW WHETHER TO:

1. completley ignore him every time he screeches and not pay ANY attention to him what so ever

2. talk to him calmly and try to make him say a couple words instead of screeching

I've tried to ignore him but i've failed at doing so because I feel that if I did, then he'd get, i don't know all lonely and then from then on he'd hate me or something. I'm the only one he pretty much "likes", no one else can stand him. I feel so bad cause he's so adorable, but I NEED HELP. I've looked on parrot sites and informations and everything but I've tried a lot of stuff yet I can't find anything that actually works.

I REALLY don't want to have to give him away, no matter what I won't... but I honestly cannot take this anymore.. I'm afraid I'll go completely insane and lose my cool 100% some day in the near future.. and I don't want that to happen. How can I stop him from doing this?! Is there a way I could make it die down to where he screeches less?? Can somebody PLEASE give me some tips? Anything? I highly appreciate any input you guys put!!!!! Thank you so much.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Lets get one thing straight before we start: Parrots are loud. AMAZONS ARE KNOWN SCREAMERS---ESPECIALLY SEXUALLY MATURE MALES!!!

But there is a difference between normal (getting loud for half an hour or so morning and bedtime) and excessive (all day or for hours on end).

If neither you or your mom can deal with what is acceptable and normal parrot yelling---please rehome him.

That said, you've got a couple of different factors here:

1) Your bird is hitting puberty (thus he will get louder, more opinionated and will not be as easygoing as a baby) it also means he'll get a little louder, a little aggressive and etc come the breeding season in the spring/summer or whenever triggers like petting or excess daylight or too much rich food tell him its that time.

2) You put him next to a female....THAT is like putting a sexually frustrated teenage boy in a cage next to a beautiful naked woman and keeping her juuuust out of reach. Not fair---they need to be kept separated and out of eyesight and earshot if you can. Otherwise, let them be set up as a pair (warning---they will not stay tame). He is frustrated.

3) You scream back (WORST THING YOU CAN DO) this to him sounds like music to his ears---the flock is singing along with him (and giving him positive reinforcement).

4) You sprayed him (this could cause him to scream from fear)

5) Covering him is still approaching him to give him attention

So, here's what you do:

1) Make sure he gets daily drenching baths, has 14 hours of sleep in the dark and is not fed a lot of pellets, nuts or seed, lots of low calorie, low-starch green veggies instead!

2) keep him away from the female

3) Don't let him sleep, eat and play all in the same place---this simulates the breeding season because the only time a parrot eats, sleeps and lives in the same place 24/7 is the nest hole in a tree.

Get him a separate sleep cage and a playstand in addition to his regular cage and put them in different places in the house if you can. He sleeps in the sleep cage, spends his day in his cage, and whenever you take him out to play he remains on his playstand. Take him out in a carrier for walks if you can.

HERE'S THE BIGGIE! When he screams DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO HIM!! Don't even let him know you've noticed, don't talk, don't move, don't look at him. Turn your back on him and don't move. If you can't take it, walk out of the room. Because you've rewarded him in the past, he'll take longer and get louder and frustrated (she always yells back why isn't she doing it?? I'll scream louder to get her attention more) but DO NOT give in.

Its called an extinction burst---people do it to. Say you always know that you have to hit this vending machine for it to work---one day you kick it and nothing happens--what would you do? You'd kick it again, and again, harder until you give up. This is what your bird will do to.

But DO NOT give in. If you do----say you give in after 10 minutes---he knows that he just has to keep going for 10 mins and you'll pay attention. Then he'll always scream for AT LEAST ten minutes before giving up. You've done this a bit already so you'll need to be tough. Either walk out or invest in earplugs---this method does work but it takes commitment and knowing that the 'quick fixes' like yelling back etc get peace for the moment but don't fix the problem.

At some point while he's yelling---he'll try another noise--if its a noise you like---pay attention to him, go up to him and let him out of the cage (of course, if he screams while you're on your way there ignore him and turn around again). This will teach him to make the pleasant noise if he wants your attention, because they don't like frustrated anymore than you do. You can't expect him to not want your attention or have no way of asking for attention---you just need to tell him whats a good way to do it.

Good luck!

Source(s): Mum to a rescued african grey who screams to be fed or let out of her cage---she screams muuuch less after only a few days doing what I recommended.

The best time to teach the bird would of been the the second day, this way he gets used to you and you get used to him, you create your "rules" together, otherwise the bird will go back to its usual pattern. Birds are stubborn but very social and this is also how they learn, by socializing.

You didn't mention if the bird was tame or not and how much out of the cage time the bird gets, also the the stuff you've tried.

For example, kids. They learn mostly by playing and learn what is right and wrong by how others react to there actions. If kid E pulled on kid D's hair while playing tag and kid D got upset over it, kid E will understand what s/he has done is not acceptable. To show a bird you are upset you ignore the bird. If you are interacting with the bird hands on then you can turn your back on the bird for a few seconds or even turn your head away. Its important that you do this as soon as the bird has done something wrong, otherwise the bird will be confused to what your upset about.

I'm going to finish this up quickly and go to bed..

Negative attention is still attention, they don't care if its negative attention or positive because what the bird craves is "attention" Obviously positive attention would be better but attention is what there after. To answer your question 1 or 2, I say both. Completely ignore the bird when he's screaming in a demanding tone. Do not turn the tv volume up, say "ughhh!", leave the room ect cetera do not even look at the bird, continue on as if nothing is happening.

Its important that you pay attention to the bird at random times when he's being good. This could be when he's eating, singing, talking, playing or just simply sitting on the perch.

Birds need to use there voice, just like humans, some are just more talkative then others. This might seem hard at first but try learning the different calls your bird makes. Anyways, when the bird is chirping quietly whistle back quietly, keep doing this back and forth and as soon as the bird raises his voice or the tone becomes demanding just ignore him and don't respond back until he uses what I like to call "inside voice" If he wants to play this game he will have to play it by your rules, the attention seekers sure love this game. Also make sure you randomly start this game as well, don't let the bird start it all the time.

Covering the cage, water bottle, moving the cage.. et cetera is rewarding the bird with attention but it is negative attention which just creates a stressed angry bird. It fixes the screaming for a moment but only makes it worse in the future. Communication is key to a healthy relationship, same with birds. You cannot "tell" a bird or human what to do you have to work "together" on it if you want to create a happy healthy relationship. Most humans think they are superior simply because we are human and smarter but birds don't see us as superior. As the smarter species we should get into there psychology and not force them to understand ours.

If you have no choice and your family is making you put him in the garage when screaming then calmly put him in the garage without making a big deal of it, do not get angry or annoyed because of the noise, just ignore him as your doing it. Make sure you also put the bird in the garage at random times when he is not screaming. This will confuse the bird so he wont think he's in the garage because of screaming. Actually since the garage is a negative place, make it into a positive one. Put a tv in the garage with a cartoon show on, maybe give him a special treat. Do the same when he is screaming but without the treat or attention towards him.

Make sure you count it so its fairly equal

To put it simply, birds do not respond well to punishment.

It might seem like a lot of work at first but it sure is a lot less stress for the both of you.

If it makes you feel better I slided my hand across my birds cage very loudly because I couldn't stand the noise, this was around the time I first got her. I just wanted that moment of quiet. Its been 5 years, I haven't done it since then. Our relationship is great now, we communicate daily. I tell her when I leave the room, come back, she sometimes gives me a call when I'm in another room and I whistle back letting her know I'm still here. I don't "own" her, were a team.

Edit: Its okay if its not the second day, you could have the bird for years and still do it just as easily with "a lot" of patience and time. Well, whatever method you choose, make sure to stay consistent with it.

Edit: Almost forgot, make sure all the birds needs are being met. healthy diet, positive attention, mental and physical stimulation.

Understand the Behavior •1 Remember: If your bird is being noisy, it's not doing it to irritate you. •2 Often the bird is just lonely. Or it may be trying to tell you that something is wrong. Parrots are much like small children in that way -- and most larger parrots have the intellectual capacity (and sometimes the vocabulary) of a 2-to 5-year-old child. •3 If your parrot has formed an attachment to you, you are part of its flock. In the wild, parrots constantly call out to let others know where they are and to make sure no one's gotten lost or is in trouble. Therefore, your parrot wants to know where you are--all the time. Dos and Don'ts for Everyday Noise Management •1 To keep the noise at a manageable level, give your bird as much positive attention as possible, just as you would do with a dog, cat or child. •2 Never hit birds. They don't connect their behavior with your retaliation, and they are fragile and have hollow bones, so you could easily maim or kill them without intending to. •3 Yelling at the bird also doesn't help--it may prompt them to show off their vocal talents as loudly as possible. •4 Distract your bird by giving it something to do (a new toy, newspaper or box to destroy).

He just wants attention. I am going through the screeching right now and have tried the spray bottle and banging on the cage--doesn t work. I recently moved her cage (Severe macaw) and it was all over that issue. I moved her back to her old spot and she was happy and no more screeching. Sometimes it is just a simple thing. I wish there was some nice safe spray for parrots when they "act up."

You could try buying a play gym for him! This will keep him occupied while you are busy. Also, while you are doing your homework, try putting him on your shoulder, this might calm him down. Try feeding him fresh fruit and vegetables such as carrot, apples ect. This technique works on my birds because they are to busy eating!

Hope I helped you out!!!! :)

If you worried you can freed him, so he would live to whatever he wants to himseft. Birds capable of surviving when they are free. You can freed him in near woods for better and he would be happy for himself and also you cause you wil never worried about him or his condition

sophisticated task try searching over bing and yahoo that might help

kill it and get a good pet.