Squish asked in HealthWomen's Health · 8 years ago

Pharmacist switched my BC without telling me, are they okay to take?

I always call in my prescription for my BC ahead of time so I can pick them up before the Sunday I have to start a new pack. I assume they will inform me if something is different or wrong before I go to pick them up..

I've been taking birth control for almost two years, and haven't ever switched the type of prescription. (Zarah)

I went in to pick up my order, and the pharmacist said she didn't have Zarah available, and gave me Syeda. I told her that I had called into my doctor's office asking if there was anything cheaper, but I didn't want it to be changed. She said that it didn't have anything to do with this and I would be given Syeda in place of Zarah.

I got home and looked up the ingredients, they're both 3mg of drospirenone and 0.03 mg of ethinyl estradiol. But the inactive ingredients are totally different. This concerns me. I haven't ever taken anything different, and experience no negative side effects from Zarah.

I know that pharmacists are certified and educated, but I still feel weird because I wasn't told ahead of time and never told my doctor I wanted to change. I do not know if they will have Zarah available or will have the time to switch my script tomorrow.

Two questions..

Why are they allowed to switch your prescription without warning you? And has anyone taken Syedia with good/bad side effects? A whole whopping four dollars cheaper (like 54 is any better than 58..) but it wont be worth it if I feel bad for a whole month, or until I can find Zarah again.

Favorite Answer

Substitution of certain drugs is allowed, if the active ingredients are the same, and of the same dosage.

You see, all medications have 2 names, the generic name and the trade name. The trade name is a copyrighted brand name, and is owned by the particular pharmaceutical company. An example of this is the drug ibuprofen. Any company can make ibuprofen, but only Pfizer is allowed to call it Advil, whereas Teva Pharmaceuticals and Par Pharmaceutical call their form of ibuprofen Motrin.

Your contraceptive pill would be the same. The inactive ingredients are nothing to worry about - these are just substances to give the medication some bulk, because a pill containing 3 mg of something would be so tiny. Other inactive ingredients can be used to provide a sugar coating on the pill to make it easier to swallow or taste better, in the case of medicine that tastes bitter.

Inactive ingredients have no medicinal effect on the person.