Are native Chicagoans more territorial than people from other cities?

Lately a topic of conversation between my family and friends has been about all the fact that so many suburban people and people from other states, especially from Michigan, have moved into Chicago. Although we live in different neighborhoods thoughout Chicago, we tend to view anyone not raised in Chicago as an... show more Lately a topic of conversation between my family and friends has been about all the fact that so many suburban people and people from other states, especially from Michigan, have moved into Chicago.

Although we live in different neighborhoods thoughout Chicago, we tend to view anyone not raised in Chicago as an outsider. I have lived in the same neighborhood all of my life and it has become very gentrified. There are virtually no Chicagoans here. Everyone is from the suburbs or Michigan, Iowa, Indiana, etc. Those of us native to Chicago have taken to calling them "tourists" because they live here but they walk around clueless like they don't belong. And when they get married and have kids they generally move back to where they came from.

We see these people as not belonging. As somewhat awkward and goofy walking down the street because they are so different from us. We laugh when they cannot parallel park or don't know how to use a parking meter. They don't seem to know anything about the neighborhood, the names of the schools, churches and even many of the streets. And they always seem so surprised when a crime happens as if they didn't know they were living in a big city.

I remember growing up as a child in Chicago, we were extremely territorial as well. It was all about what neighborhood you were from and the school you went to. If a kid played in Wicker Park which is a park near my house, but he was not from the neighborhood, we would run him out and tell him that he didn't belong.

Even today, when you talk to people who are Chicago natives, as soon as you find out they are from Chicago, you always ask "what street did you live on?" or "where did you go to school?". Even whether they were a Sox fan or a Cubs fan? It was all so territorial.

In movies that take place in NY, I always here comments like "go back to Jersey" or "they must be from New Jersey" so I assume this is not a phenomenon that is unique to Chicago. But is it more common in Chicago?