Apostolic christians why do you baptize in the name of jesus and not the father, son, holy spirit?

I'm a apostolic christian also.but I am thinking about changing religions because Jesus christ said Matthew 28:19"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost"

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Bill C
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

Do you really suppose that the entire first century church disobeyed Jesus? Since they are the ones who wrote down the New Testament, don't you think they knew what they were doing? And did they ever once baptized anyone using the three titles of Matthew 28:19? No! Not even once. Every time they baptized someone, whether it was Jews, Samaritans or Gentiles, or even the disciples of John the Baptist, who were rebaptized upon learning about Jesus, all first century Christian baptism was done in Jesus' name only. (Acts chapters 2, 8, 10, 19 & 22) Acts 4:12 tells us that this is the only name by which we must be saved, and Col. 3:17 instructs us to do everything, word and action, in the name of Jesus. How could that NOT include baptism?

This does not contradict the words of Jesus in Matthew 28:19. Look carefully at what He said: He did not tell them to baptize in three titles, but in the one NAME of the person who holds those three titles. Father, Son and Holy Ghost are not names, only titles. And the word name is singular. In a companion verse, Luke 24:47, Jesus specified the name: His own.

If all the fullness of the Godhead dwells bodily in Jesus (Col. 2:9), then Jesus IS the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Don't second-guess the apostles. They walked with Jesus and understood His command. Baptizing in the titles didn't start until the 3rd century, instituted by a backslidden church that no longer understood the basics of Christianity. Apostolic means "like the apostles." We do it the way they did, because not even an apostle or an angel from heaven has the right to alter the original teachings of the church (Gal. 1:8-9). So baptism must be performed the way it was back then, by full immersion, following belief and repentance, and using the name of Jesus. Any other way is not valid. Using the titles of Matthew 28:19 repeats the words of the command, but does not actually obey it, since the actual NAME of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost is not used!

Source(s): Apostolic minister
    • Julie5 years agoReport

Jesus died and rose then he commanded believers to go and baptize in the name of the father, son and holy ghost. Written in red letters meaning Jesus is talking not earthly men.

• Troy F
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

Help me to understand something. You say you are an Apostolic, yet you come HERE to ask for advice on this question rather than going to your pastor? I'm sure that there must be people in your own congregation who would be only too happy to sit down with you and go over every concern you have.

Yes, Jesus DID say to baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. And when we look in Acts 2:38, Acts 8:12-17, Acts 10:44-48, and Acts 19:1-7, we see, over and over again, exactly how they OBEYED this commandment. It's unmistakable--every time they baptized someone. I PERSONALLY am a father---but "the father" is not my name. I'm also a husband, a son, a cousin, and a nephew---but those titles are not my name. If God is One (Deut. 6:4, Gal.3:20) and Jesus is God manifested in the flesh (Acts 20:28, II Cor. 5:19) so much so that to see him WAS to see the Father (John 14:8-11), then I ask you--what IS the name of the father? Of the son? of the Holy Ghost? Jesus=Yeshuah=Yaweh Savior.

When the lame man was healed at the Beautiful gate in the temple (Acts 3:1-8), Peter SAID WITH IS MOUTH "in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk." When explaining this miracle to the Jewish authorities, we read that he said in Acts 4:12 "Neither is there salvation in any other, for there is none other name given among men whereby we must be saved".

THAT'S why we baptize in the name of Jesus---because the name of Jesus IS the father's name, the son's name, and even the name of the Holy Ghost---remember that the Holy Spirit is "Christ in you, the hope of glory".

Source(s): The Bible
  • ARCHIE
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

Using "the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" during water baptism is a failure to rightly divide, and correctly interpret the scripture, and fails on at least three points.

(1) Out of the mouth of two or three witnesses every word shall be established (Deuteronomy 19:15; Matthew 18:16; John 8:17; 2 Corinthians 13:1)

As there are no other witnesses (scriptures) to support this point, it fails here.

(2) Do not diminish from God's word (Deuteronomy 4:2; 12:32; Revelation 22:19)

Any attempt to interpret scriptures without a thorough study is diminishing from God's word, and it applies to all teachings which rely on one scripture only.

(3) Make sense of the apparent contradictions (Nehemiah 8:8)

Those who use "the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" for water baptism, need to satisfactorily explain why the apostles never did it.

Why did Peter instruct baptism "in the name of Jesus Christ" (Acts 2:38)? and if this was wrong, why did the other eleven apostles who were with him (Acts 2:14) not rebuke him? Jesus promised that when the Holy Spirit came, which they had all just received, he would "bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." (John 14:26). So if using "the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" was the correct formula for water baptism, why didn't the Holy Spirit bring it to their remembrance at this time, and correct Peter?

Why did Philip baptize the Samaritans "in the name of the Lord Jesus." (Acts 8:16)? Why did Peter command the baptism of Cornelius and his household "in the name of the Lord." (Acts 10:48), and if this was wrong, why did the other six Jewish brethren from Joppa (Acts 10:23; 10:45; 11:12) not object? Also when the angel instructed Cornelius to send for Peter, he said to him, "he shall tell you what you ought to do." (Acts 10:6). Do we now assume that the angel instructed Cornelius wrongly, because Peter gave the instruction for baptism "in the name of the Lord."?

Why did Paul re-baptize the Ephesians "in the name of the Lord Jesus." (Acts 19:5)?

Do we have good scriptural answers to these questions? God's words are "all plain to him who understands," (Proverbs 8:9), so when it is correctly understood, all apparent contradictions can be satisfactorily explained. A failure to be able to do this is a failure to have rightly divided the word of God.

Source(s): THE BIBLE
  • 3 years ago

Within the name of the daddy, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Which is like being baptized within the title of Jesus (the Son), but in the title of God (Father) and Holy Spirit in addition. So it can be like a triple whammy.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Matthew 28:18-19 points to JESUS since Jesus says, "All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

He has all power, and due to that fact, the apostles should baptize in His Name.

One might ask, "Why did Jesus not simply say, 'Baptizing them in my name,' rather than, 'Baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost'?"

The answer lies in the fact that we can ask the same question in reference to Luke 24 when Jesus said, "And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His Name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem." Why did He not say, "In my name"? For whatever reason Jesus had to not say "my Name" is not the issue at this time. We do know, however, that Luke referred to Jesus' name when it said, "in His Name." Therefore, both accounts refer to Jesus' own name. They must, for they refer to the same instructions when Jesus gave His last commission. They each give a vairation of what Jesus actually meant and said.

Since Jesus spoke of His own name in the third person tense in Luke 24:47, we can see that the reference to the single name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost is Jesus Christ, too.

Do not limit the name Jesus to the Son alone. Those who do limit that name to the Son do look at baptism in Jesus' Name as a means of excluding the Father and the Holy Ghost. The fact is, though, that the Father, Son and Holy Ghost is One God whose single name is Jesus, which name refers to the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost. Does God consist of three persons? No. There is only One. And Jesus is that One God. Is there a God beside Jesus? Of course not.

The One, single Person of the Godhead has three titles describing the various manners or offices in which He works in dealing with man. One cannot get closer to believing in One Single God, while at the same time understanding that Jesus is that One God Almighty, than by believing in the doctrine of the oneness of the Godhead.

Source(s): I am Apostolic
    • Chris2 months agoReport

Amen brother! I believe he didn’t use his own name those times because he hadn’t been glorified at that time.

• 5 years ago

Mt.28:19, is the great commandments to using His NAME Jesus, pointing to Acts.2:38, coz, according to

Jn.5:31 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true. the witness of His Name were the Apostles,Ref. Acts.10:44-48, Acts.19:1-6, Acts.16:30-33. Baptized in JESUS name. Acts.4:12, no other NAME whereby we must be saved.

• 7 years ago

First, note that the word name is singular, denoting one, not two or three names. Second, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are all three titles, not names. Thirdly, the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are all four versions of the same stories. How do the other three writers interpret Matthew 28:19? Mark 16:16 commands baptism, but doesn’t mention a baptismal formula:

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Luke 24:47 states the following:

Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

According to Acts 2:38, remission of sins is accomplished through baptism:

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Therefore, Luke 24:47 is clearly referring to baptism in Jesus’ Name. John 20:23 mentions remission of sins again in a clear reference to baptism:

John 20:23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; {and} whose soever {sins} ye retain, they are retained.

Obviously, Jesus’ disciples could not forgive sins, but they could remit sins by baptizing converts. Furthermore, not one person in the King James Version of the Bible was ever baptized in the titles Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! Everyone in the Book of Acts (the only book of the Bible which is a historical record of the early church) was baptized either in the name of the Lord, the name of the Lord Jesus, the name of Jesus, or the name of Jesus Christ. Any truly honest person will have to admit that the disciples of Jesus obviously understood Matthew 28:19 to mean the name of Jesus, the only name which signifies the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Finally, verse 18 of chapter 28 tells us that all power is given unto Jesus in heaven and in earth:

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

If there is another person in the Godhead, he has no power. When Jesus starts verse 19, he says “Go ye therefore.” Therefore means “because of this”, or “for this reason”. In other words, “because I have all power, go baptizing in my name”.

• ELMO
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

Jesus instructed us to baptize "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." {Matt. 28:19}

In other words, He told us to baptize in the name (singular) that fully reveals God in His redemptive manifestations and work. What is this name?

The name given to the Son of God was Jesus. "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins" (Matthew 1:21).

Jesus was a genuine human being, born by the miraculous work of God's Spirit in the womb of a virgin, and thus He was literally the Son of God (Luke 1:35). He was more that a man, however; He was actually the one God manifested in the flesh (Colossians 2:9; I Timothy 3:17). He was the visible image of the invisible God (Colossians 1:15).

As such Jesus declared, "I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive" (John 5:43). In other words, the Father is made known to us by the name of Jesus. The Father, the one true invisible God, gave His name to the Son (the manifestation of God in flesh) thus the Son received His name by inheritance (Hebrews 1:4).

The name Jesus literally means "Jehovah Savior." Jehovah was the unique name by which the one true God identified Himself to Israel in the Old Testament. The name Jesus describes the one God of the Old Testament coming in flesh to be our Savior. Thus the name of Jesus reveals both the Father and the Son.

What about the Holy Ghost? What name reveals God in His spiritual essence and action? Jesus said, "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you" (John 14:26). In other words, the Holy Spirit comes to us in the name of Jesus. The Holy Spirit does not come to us with a separate identity but is the Spirit of Jesus-Jesus Himself coming to dwell within us spiritually (John 14:16-18; Colossians 1:27).

In short, the supreme name that reveals God-the name by which we know the Father, Son and Holy Ghost-is Jesus. By invoking the name of Jesus, then, we fulfill the command of Matthew 28:19.

Source(s): Apostolic Believer In One God, Jesus
  • 7 years ago

I was baptized under the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

• 3 years ago

The Apostolic argument is that the doctrine of the Trinty is incorrect. And as a result Act 2.38,Acts 8:12,Acts 8:16,Acts 19:5. they assumes reaffirms that doctrine. They also believe that water baptism is when salvation occurs and anyone not baptize in Jesus Name is not really Saved. But no where in the bible does is states you must be baptized in "Jesus Name" in order to be saved. In the above mention scripture it clearly states the Name of Jesus not "Jesus Name".Lets just reverse the Apostolic argument what are the names of Jesus Christ Isaiah 9:6 "For unto us a child is born,unto us a son is given: and the goverment shall be upon his shoulder:and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor,The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. What is the name of the Father =Jesus and what is the name of the Jesus = Father using this method of reasoning both are true. The Apostolic doctrine has more to do with Circular reasoning than it does with salvation. Before he was assigned the name Jesus the Son existed. Jesus in Matthew 28:19 and Peter in Acts 2:38 are both correct and are not in conflicted with each other. When you say the Lords prayer the word Father is appropriate as well when you get baptized "Our Father which art in heave, Hallowed be thy name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts as we forgive our debts, as for we forgive our debtors. And leads us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. You are saying Jesus when you say Father and Father when you say Jesus. Let me conclude with this text 1Corinthians 15:28 "And when all things shall be sudued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him,that God may be all in all." Hope this helped. email: cityonthehill@yahoo.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.