Should you go to jail if?

If a tattooed, gold-toothed 6 foot 2 football player turned drug dealer beats your head into a sidewalk for 48 seconds while you scream for help, and you end up shooting him - should you go to jail?

Thank you Karl. I am a slightly overweight, white-hispanic male, but I don't think most people would call me fat, if that helps.

Hi Demoriel.

Thanks for sharing your expertise on this subject. Personally I don't think race should matter, so I won't mention the race of the perpetrator. However, contrary to your answer, I have a sinking feeling that in this completely hypothetical case, if he was a white guy, no one would have put up much of a stink about it.

Let me throw out another wrinkle here: What if the president went on television and stated that the perpetrator (the drug dealer) looked just like the son he never had? What if the attorney general of the united states decided that he would open an investigation into the case? Sidebar question: is it normal for federal authorities from our country's executive branch to meddle in local cases like this? I remember I had a friend who was murdered and the president didn't say anything about it. Your answer has me intrigued, I wonder if race does have something to do with it. I'm just wondering why all the attention over a drug deal

Oh and one more thing I think I probably should have added - does it change anything if there was a rash of burglaries and home invasions in the area, prior to this incident, and the residents didn't feel very safe? What if I told you that after the perpetrator was shot that these crimes suddenly stopped?

Michael T,

Thanks for your answer. In all the self defense cases I've ever seen, if it really was self-defense, the cops say so immediately and that's the end of it. Why should the court battle wage on if it's as clear cut as you said? It's been nearly 6 months. I added all the details because I'm trying to figure out why it's taking so long. Is it because of the president publicly mourning the perpetrator? Is it because the attorney general threatened the cops and district attorney? I just don't understand why the charges against the victim haven't been dropped.

Favorite Answer

you should be locked up for making the issue so complicated

serious assault with the intended victim fearing for his life

victim shot perpetrator case closed

court case will go on for some time but you would probably be declared not guilty on the grounds of self defence

No, especially not if the dude is black.

Source(s): I'm a police officer