Tell me liberals, why should we ban "assault weapons" (sporter rifles)?

First, the "Assault Weapons" that are available to the public, are just semi auto military clones, so technically they are NOT assault weapons, because they are not full auto. The "Assault Weapon" Ban is based off of nothing more than the cosmetics of the rifle. The 1993 ban said that a firearms... show more First, the "Assault Weapons" that are available to the public, are just semi auto military clones, so technically they are NOT assault weapons, because they are not full auto. The "Assault Weapon" Ban is based off of nothing more than the cosmetics of the rifle. The 1993 ban said that a firearms cannot not have more than one of these things, a pistol grip, a flash hider, barrel shroud, and a collapsible stock.
Also, high capacity magazines DO have a major purpose, and that purpose is WROL (without rule of law). Look at the Rodney king riots, and Hurricane Katrina. Do you think a six shooter will protect you from a mob of people trying to steal your food, and harm you and your family? I remember seeing a video of a store owner on top of his roof during the Rodney King riots with an AR-15, and no one got anywhere near his store. This isn't a common scenario, but it is realistic. What would happen if a major solar flare where to hit this side of the globe, and wipe out electricity? The internet would be gone, so transportation is gone, so guess what, your local grocery store will be getting any shipments. Or what would happen if a super volcano were to erupt, cover a 1000 mile radius with ash? I heard a good quote that at all time we are 7 meals away from anarchy.

And the Remington 870 has been used in more mass shooting than any other long gun. Do you support banning the most popular hunting shotgun?

One more thing, read the second amendment, it's not for hunting. It's for protecting us from the government. And yes the American people are a formidable force, even against the United States military. There are 100 million gun owners, if even 10% resist, thats 10 million guerrilla fighters, and they won't just have guns either. Look at what a bunch of uneducated Iraqis, Afghanis, and Palestinians were able to make (not that i agree with them), and the US resistance would eventually use similar tactics, if not much more effective. And though the idea of Americans fighting Americans is a terrifying thought, and i would NEVER want this to happen, but what i'm trying to say is that the idea that the US military could take control of the armed US citizens without a fight, is absolutely absurd (especially because in an event like this, the US military would be falling apart as well, and the dissenters would probably fight against them as well).
Update: @Daniel, explosives are extremely easy to make, the American people would think of something.
Update 2: @arthur, if you're going by the anti-gun liberal definition yes, that's what the assault weapons ban declared assault weapons, and it was based entirely off cosmetics. But if you're going by the technical definition, it needs to be a fully automatic rifle, that fires a small rifle cartridge (something... show more @arthur, if you're going by the anti-gun liberal definition yes, that's what the assault weapons ban declared assault weapons, and it was based entirely off cosmetics. But if you're going by the technical definition, it needs to be a fully automatic rifle, that fires a small rifle cartridge (something like the 5.56NATO, or 7.62x39) that is an assault rifle. A battle rifle fires a full rifle cartridge (say the 7.62x51NATO), and a sub machine gun fires a pistol cartridge (like 9mm, or 40S&W)
Update 3: Battle rifles and sub machine guns need to full auto as well to qualify as battle rifles or sub machine guns as well.
10 answers 10