promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

WHEN we make a smoothie, do the ingredients lose nutrition???!?!?!?

I made a smoothie with raspberries, strawberries, banannas, oranges and apples. I was thinking, when they blend, do they lose all nutrition or is it still there. Please answer quickly and don't give rude answers.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No, obviously I won't be rude lol.

No to your question as well. I can explain this through chemistry and physics, of which I have great knowledge.

What is nutrition? Nutrition is the amount of chemicals that react to benefit your body's well being. In chemistry, as long as there is no chemical reaction, your smoothie has all the fruits and thus its healthy phytochemicals. All the molecules stay the same.

From a physics standpoint, it is important to remember the most fundamental principle of, perhaps, all science. This is the conservation of energy. When you blend the smoothie, you are using the electrical energy to turn into the blades kinetic energy, which then imparts enough kinetic energy onto the fruits to destroy the physical bonds that keep little pieces of fruit together. Notice there is not change in chemical energy, so the chemical energy levels stay the same. Thus all the nutrition is the same as well.

Source(s): nutrition chemistry studies, in physics as well
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

No. What you are talking about with those particular ingredients does not compromise the nutritive value of your smoothie.

There is a smoothie specific problem though...that is thinking that since you are making a smoothie it will be healthy no matter how large the serving, or what you put in it. You have to watch calories, sugar, even in the healthiest of ingredients. But also it is a pretty slippery slop from smoothie to milkshake...easy to slide from one to the other. When you start adding higher fat items like or ice cream, or dessert toppings like chocolate or caramel, in other words, if you load up your smoothie with junk, you can undo the health benefits pretty easily.

• 8 years ago

If you were to blend long enough to heat the fruit you might loose some nutrients. But since you blend just long enough to liquefy the fruit you loose no nutrients. As a matter of fact you may possibly improve the nutritional value by making the fiber more digestible.

• 8 years ago

The blending mechanically breaks down the structure of the fruit fibers, which makes the fruit more easily digestible. So, it actually increases nutrition.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • M
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Why would they lose the nutrition? They're raw, right?

• 8 years ago

What mechanism of action are you postulating would degrade the nutrients? Vibration?

• No they dont, don't worry! :)

Answer mine? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ar0Hn...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.