Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

What is a good cat food for my cat?

My cat is about 5 years old and I am currently feeding her a diet of Friskies: Surfin' and Turfin' Favorites cat food with one 3 oz pouch of EverPet wet food per day. Is this a good enough diet or should I try something else? She nibbles on the dry food all day and she gets the pouch for supper. My aunt says I shouldn't be feeding her wet food at all because she says it irritates a cat's digestive system. She only feeds hers dry food.

Favorite Answer

I feed my four cats Nutro Natural Choice dry food and I also feed wet food. Cat's don't drink enough water so feeding wet food is beneficial to keep them hydrated and also help keep their urinary system healthy. In fact in the wild cat's get most of their moisture from the prey they kill. I really like Natural Choice because it's a higher protein lower carb food that my cats really like. It's all natural and does not contain any chicken by-products, ground corn or any artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. Natural Choice is also rich in Omega 3 and 6 oils along with other vitamins and minerals so your cat will have a beautiful skin and coat. I'm a pet nutrition specialist with Nutro and have been feeding it for over 25 years to all my furry kids and it's always worked great. Here's a link to learn more about it and read some reviews. http://www.nutro.com/natural-cat-food/natural-choi... Good luck and hope this helps.

http://www.nutro.com/pet-center/mixing-wet-and-dry...

Mix It Up For Better Cat Health

Some cat owners swear by wet food. Others insist dry is best. And according to the WALTHAM® Centre for Pet Nutrition, both sides have merit. In fact, WALTHAM® research shows that mixing wet and dry cat food together benefits your cat in more ways than one.

Benefits of Mixed Feeding

Improved Urinary Tract Health — When you feed your cat a diet of dry kibble mixed with a high moisture, wet food, it increases your cat’s water intake resulting in more urine production. The higher water volume dilutes the urine while increasing the frequency of urination — both of which help prevent the formation of mineral crystals or urinary stones.

Better Weight Management — WALTHAM® studies have shown cats that are fed a high moisture diet eat less, gain less weight per calorie eaten and have increased activity levels compared with cats fed only a dry food diet. What’s more, owners tend to better control the size of their cat’s meal portions when part of the diet contains wet food.

Healthy Metabolism — With more real meat and fewer carbohydrates, wet food provides a healthy balance of proteins, fats and carbohydrates that satisfies a cat’s instinctive feeding behavior and helps maintain a healthy metabolism.

Enhanced Eating Enjoyment — When given a choice, cats prefer to eat a mixture of both wet and dry foods. Wet food is shown to increase enjoyment whereas dry food satisfies her desire to eat many small meals throughout the day.

Improved Oral Health — The crunchy texture of dry food helps keep teeth clean by scraping away plaque and tartar.

Recommended Mixed Feeding Program

While each cat is different, WALTHAM® studies have shown that a mixed feeding program is beneficial for both weight management and urinary tract health. For weight management, at least 1/3 of the total daily food intake should be wet food. If urinary tract health is the goal, then wet food should make up a least 3/4 of the daily volume.

Source(s): Owner of four cats (or do they own me?) Pet Nutrition Specialist

Everpet Cat Food

1

Source(s): Avoid Cat Urine Marking http://emuy.info/StopCatSpraying

I give my cats both wet and dry everyday. The dry is Purina Cat Chow Naturals and the wet food is Friskies all the way, it's the only thing they seem to like. I never give them beef because I was told it's not good for cats and I never buy dry food that has dye in them, it's hard to digest and they throw up from it. Every now and then I'll get them a small bag of kitten chow, it's like a treat for them. I also give them treats, they like crunchy or crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Their favorite is Temptations, but again, no beef.

I've had cats all my life and usually 5 at a time, but only 2 right now. My other cats passed away, they were 20 yrs and two were 21 yrs when they passed and they were all pretty healthy, no illnesses. My vet asked me one time what I fed them because they're coats looked so good. When I told him, he was surprised, but that's what they liked and it seemed to agree with them.

I agree with everyone about the wet food, it is good for them and helps them drink water plus, I think they need a variety. It has to be horrible to eat the same thing everyday, especially just dry food. Some cats prefer dry, some wet and some prefer both. My neighbors cat keeps sneaking in our house to eat our wet food and he acts like he's starving while he's eating - poor guy. We feel so bad for him, so we just let him eat. I feel horrible when I see him crying at my door.

I do hand feed my cats and they are not fat at all, but my daughter has two cats who are very obeise and she feeds them half what I feed my cats. My cats are indoor-outdoor cats and hers are strickly indoor cats, so maybe that's the reason. My cats might get more exercise being outside, but I'm not sure.

One of my cats loves Reddi-Whip, butter & bananas. I don't recommend any of these, I checked to see if they would hurt him and the butter is no good, but I was told and read that letting him have Reddi-Whip and bananas once in a while would be ok, but not that much.

Again, I want to say my cats go to the vet for checkups every year and they have all had good reports and they are very happy guys.

you should feed her the best thing you can possibly afford, and anything from a supermarket or warehouse type store (walmart, target, etc.) is not a healthy diet for any pet! the best cat foods are grain free (innova evo, felinae, wellness core, blue by blue buffalo, taste of the wild, solid gold, merricks BG, etc.) these foods come from specialty pet shops and natural/whole foods markets. also, wet food is more natural for cats because cats as a rule do not get all the required amount of daily water by drinking alone. so in answer, a high quality wet food diet would be ideal for your cat, but grain free dry food is adequate

Wet food will not irritate their digestive system. Dry food is more likely to. They need wet food

http://www.catinfo.org/

I couldn't find ingredients for everpet but friskies is not a good food. You want something grain free like wellness core, merrick before grain, blue wilderness, natural balance, natures variety, taste of the wild, weruva, halo, addiction etc.

They should ideally get all canned but some kibble can be fed but do not free feed. Free feeding leads to obesity.

Another even better option is raw. Here is a guide

http://holisticferret60.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo...

And a recipe

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood

No, wet cat food will not do any harm to the cat if it is a good brand. Although make sure that your cats poop is not liquidity and smells really bad because that indicates that the wet cat food is not good for your cat. And the diet for your cat is perfect:)

Source(s): expirence with three cats

I feed my cat Halo dry food, which is really healthy and not too expensive. I also feed her two scoops of friskies wet food a day, which she LOVES! Dry food vs wet food is often debated, people have many different opinions. So I give her both.

Your aunt is wrong because giving her wet food helps her pee more. Cat's don't always drink as much water as they should and by giving them wet food it helps solve that problem. I say if your cat is doing well on what you feed her don't change anything. It sounds like everything is going well.