What does it mean when a girl says "let's just stay friends."?

Okay there was this girl I liked and that liked me too. We started talking for a little while but one day she sent a text saying she needed to talk. Apperently there was this guy she liked before me and her started and she said she was going to go for him and that we should stay just friends. But it turns out the... show more Okay there was this girl I liked and that liked me too. We started talking for a little while but one day she sent a text saying she needed to talk. Apperently there was this guy she liked before me and her started and she said she was going to go for him and that we should stay just friends. But it turns out the the other dude didn't want her, and she said she's not going to just come running back to me after what she did. So right now all I know is we're still friends. Is there any chance for something to happen between us in the future or is it a cut your losses and move on kind of thing.