I had a spiritual dream, but I'm not a spiritual person?

I had a dream I was standing in a Buddhist temple in front of a statue and I wasn't really praying but I was trying to focus on something, like I was meditating, and I was staring at the statue's face. All of a sudden it was like I blacked out and couldn't see but I heard someone, very VERY clearly, like they where right there, and their voice surrounded me and they said "You must let go of all things that tie you to this world, only then can you be free." and at that time it felt like I was completely at peace. I woke up WITHIN the dream after awhile and I was trying to figure out what it meant while I was still dreaming and then I woke up for real. It felt so real, the whole thing.

Just to clarify, I am not now, nor have I ever been a Buddhist. I'm an atheist. I don't even know how I know it was a Buddhist temple, there wasn't even anyone there.

Favorite Answer

Just let it be - like my mum says - If it ever means anything it will evolve itself.

I think it is good that you experienced how to be completely 'peace' - You now know you can be at peace!

About dreams: There are 5 types of dreams

1. Dreams showing unfulfilled desires

2. Dreams releasing stress from the past

3. Intuitive dreams – premonitory dreams

4. Mixture of all the above

5. Nothing to do with the above, but to do with the environment

There is no way to say which dream is of what type. After a dream, there is a sudden rush of energy with which you wake up! This moment is the only moment your body is in real alive and awake state. The rest of the time the body is in a day dream, night dream state. Even the reality is a dream. The wise just brush them all out - So it is best to not indulge in dreams

P.S. Letting go is a spontaneous skill. You can acquire it many ways - Sudarshan Kriya is one of them - You can check it out here: http://www.artofliving.org/what-is-sudarshan-kriya

Being Buddhist is not incompatible with being an Atheist, because Buddha himself stated categorically that he was not a God. He was just a man who achieved enlightenment. I think this meant that you have to let go of all your desires etc. because only then can you become enlightened. It's how you achieve enlightenment. You can't be attached to materialistic things, for example. Perhaps you should give Buddhism a go? What's the harm? Something certainly seems to be leading you to it, and Buddhism has never raised the moral issues other lifestyles have.

Source(s): I'm not a Buddhist, however I have been dragged round Buddhist temples etc. since I was young because my mum likes it. She's not a Buddhist either, really.

The most important thing is what the dream meant to you. Perhaps there is a part of you that wants to look into the spiritual side of life. Why not give some thought into looking at Buddhist philosophy. You wouldn't even have to give up your atheism.

A dream is simply a reflection of your subconscious mind at rest. There is no higher power telling you what to do through a dream. If you have a feeling causing you stress deep down in side, there is a good chance it could manifest in some way through your dream. I believe this is such an example. However you interpret this is your choice, but know that nothing about it was divine or miraculous.

• Xen

When you die your ties to this world will cease, while you are here aren't there things you like or dislike, people you love or hate?

You'll have the entirety of eternity to be free of attachments - I'd suggest to enjoy yourself now. If I'm wrong, well you will have fun; if you're wrong - wow, what a loss.

(me flips coin: Schmeederbeeder wins)

I had a dream that I was being stabbed, and when I woke up, I had no stab wounds.

Weird, huh?

• I kept pestering God to tell me I am going to live forever. Well God responded," No, I am not going to tell you that you are going to live forever right now." I asked, "Why?" God responded, "because you are cheap" I guess God might not want me to live in this world forever, because it's cheap relative to Heaven. Anyways, I feel that is related to your dream as to why let go of things in this world. (please don't let go yet, fight the urge to die.)

I had a dream that I had superpowers and I helped people, but I'm not a superhero...

Dreams are cool..aren't they?