Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Local BusinessesUnited KingdomManchester · 8 years ago

How much to start a cleaning Business?

So I’ve been playing over ideas in my head and I’m looking for some information. I've been researching starting a cleaning business and I have a few questions, would be grateful for any assistants!

1. How much would I spend on supplies?

2. How much do you charge? Also how do you charge (by room? ECT...) I to start cleaning office buildings and I would also like to do medical centres?

3. What sort of business insurance do I need?

4. How much does the insurance cost you personally?

5. Can you actually make a living doing this?

I’m looking to leave my current job and run a business on a full time basis

Favorite Answer

People start cleaning businesses all the time. An individual's key consideration in starting a cleaning business is deciding whether to start independently or to open a franchise. It is much less expensive to start a cleaning business on your own. However, most franchise companies already have a marketing plan in place to help get you off to a quicker start. Nevertheless, any cleaning business owner needs certain licenses, supplies, equipment and especially a clientele to get started.

Sponsored Link

Small Business Insurance

Find Cheap Business Insurance Quick & Easy - Just Enter Zip Code!

Small-Business.InsuranceQuotes.com

DBA and Vendor's License

As with any business, anyone who opens a cleaning business will need a DBA (Doing Business As) and vendor's license. You can get a DBA by contacting your local county clerk or county administration office. They will then mail you the application. Once you fill out the application and send it in with your application fee, your business will be registered. It is best that you think of a catchy name for your cleaning business before applying for the DBA. When you apply for your DBA, you will also get a vendor's license, which will require you to collect sales tax from your customers.

Cleaning Agents

You will need to decide if you want to clean residences, businesses or both when buying cleaning supplies. Consider buying cleaning supplies in higher volumes if you clean businesses. Restrooms and office lounges are much larger than rooms in houses. Floor, mirror and window cleaners are the most common cleaning agents used in the cleaning business.

Cleaning Supplies

You will also need a number of cleaning supplies. The most common cleaning supplies include trash bags, garbage can liners, spray bottles, buckets, mops, feather dusters, toilet brushes, paper towels, rags and squeegees. It might take time to decide the exact quantity of cleaning supplies you will need. As you gain more experience, you will have a better idea of how much to keep on hand.

Equipment

Some larger equipment is needed to start your business. A vacuum cleaner and even a carpet cleaner are both necessary, as residences or businesses might hire you to occasionally clean carpets. Check the prices of other carpet cleaners for the going rate. Most carpet cleaning services charge by the square foot.

Advertising

Marketing is an important aspect to starting any business--especially a cleaning service that might be run out of your home. Start out by passing out fliers to residences and businesses in your area. Also consider placing an ad with the major newspaper in your city or even free newspapers, according to the article "Starting a House Cleaning Service" at The Dollar Stretcher. Referrals are another way to garner potential clients. Start by asking residential clients if they know anyone that needs their house cleaned regularly, and offer discounts to a current client if they refer new business to you.

• juli

Start An Office Cleaning Business!

Hi! I clean small offices (see my Profile) and have friends who do residential cleaning. The term "deep cleaning" usually refers to homes and businesses that have not been professionally cleaned in months or years. It is an extremely thorough cleaning and it would be hard to do that repeatedly for the same place. Much better to do an initial deep clean with a contractual weekly/bi-weekly cleaning. $150 is a reasonable minimum price for two people doing a deep cleaning-but that depends on the size of home and exactly what you will do for a deep cleaning. Better for you and your friends to do some practice cleaning to determine how long it takes to do each chore, set up a pricing sheet and use that to do estimates for deep cleaning. More tips and resources are at my Squidoo lens-the link is in My Profile. Go For It and Good Luck!!

• Iza3 years agoReport

Hi Kristine I can t find your profile

Don't forget about an essential 'supply'!

You'll want to have affordable marketing and management software...something that allows you to offer online booking/payments, manage your calendar, reach new clients, manage client information, track your business' performance, etc. This will help you become more efficient!

• Jay

supplies business is not easy to do